Are you tired of paying outrageous sums monthly for cable TV? Are you looking for alternative entertainment options that don’t involve streaming? If you are, then getting a digital antenna is an excellent way to go.
Antennas are metallic structures that either send or receive electromagnetic signals. TV stations use them to broadcast signals, and you can use one to receive signals from these stations.
But some antennas are better at receiving signals from TV stations than others. Other factors in your area may also mess with signals transmitted from these stations.
To get the best from your antenna, you need an antenna guide. Fortunately, it is possible to get an antenna guide online. If you want to know where to get good antenna guides online, you should continue reading to find out.
What is an Online Antenna Guide?
An online antenna guide is simply a site or app that gives you information about the best antenna to get in your area.
A good antenna guide will also give you a near accurate detail of the TV stations in your area and how far they are to your apartment.
This information is vital because antennas have specific reception ranges. If they are too far from the broadcast stations, they will not receive signals from TV Stations properly.
Also, digital signals can sometimes be blocked by buildings and hills. If your TV antenna is wrongly positioned, you may not pick up TV signals.
With the information obtained from TV guides, you will know the right type of antenna to get.
You will also know the best place to position that antenna to get the best signals.
Where to Get Antenna Guide Online
There are a lot of sites that promise information on antennas. But very few sites are helpful. Some places where you can get a good antenna guide online include:
YouTube is an online video streaming site that offers a variety of content.
Some YouTube channels are dedicated to giving great advice on how to get the best TV antenna for your area.
You will pick up tips on different antenna ranges and where to get access to TV signals in your location.
You will even get tips on installing an antenna even though we recommend using a professional.
With the information you get on YouTube, you will get the best antennas for your TV.
Dedicated Government Websites
Some Websites are dedicated to giving free information about the location of TV stations and how strong their signals are in your area.
You will also learn of obstacles that could interfere with signals, such as distance and tall buildings close to your apartment.
The Federal Communications Commission has a website that contains a list of TV stations and the strength of their signals.
To access this information, all you have to do is:
- Visit the website
- Click on the search button and type in your location.
- You will be shown a list of stations in your area and signal strength.
- You will also be shown their frequency, so you can pick up these stations by doing a quick scan or manually tuning to their frequency.
What to do if You are not Getting Any Signal on Your TV
What can you do if you are still not getting any signals despite having a proper antenna? You can do one or more of the following:
- Perform a double scan by disconnecting the antenna from your TV and running a scan using your TV tuner.
Then you can reconnect the antenna to the TV and run a second scan.
- Move the antenna to a different position, increasing its height or moving it to another part of your roof.
- Contact your local TV channels. Most of these stations have a support line that can be helpful to you.
- As a last resort, you may have to change the type of antenna you use.
Types of Antenna
There are two main types of antenna:
This is a type of antenna that is placed within the house. It is usually placed at the top of the TV or by its side.
Indoor antennas are cheap and are capable of picking signals from free to air TV channels. However, signals reaching your TV are most likely to be weak. So they may not always be effective.
This type of antenna is placed outside the house, most likely on the roof of a building. They are more expensive than indoor antennas.
But outdoor antennas (especially the omnidirectional ones) have features that enable them to pick up TV signals from various directions.
If you want to get the best free cable viewing experience, you are better off going for an outdoor antenna.
Tips for Purchasing a Suitable Antenna
Here are some tips that would help you get an antenna that best suits your needs:
- Check the antenna reception range; that is how close the antenna must be to receive signals.
- Compare the figures with the distance of local broadcast stations in your locality to get one that can pick up signals.
- Most good antennas would have a reception range of 60-80 miles.
- Also, check the CTA color code at the side of the box. The CTA color code will show you the antenna reception qualities and the strength of the signal needed for it to function.
- To understand the codes, you may have to visit the website of the Federal Communication Commission.
- Lastly, choose the type of antenna you want. Directional antennas work better in weaker signals (40-60 miles), while Omnidirectional antennas tend to do better in regions with stronger signals (30 miles or less).
The information above applies to only outdoor antennas, and indoor antennas tend to be omnidirectional.
Getting an antenna is an excellent way to ensure that you can enjoy free-to-air TV channels around you.
But to get a suitable antenna that meets your needs, you have to have a reliable antenna guide.
Follow this guide to get important information on the best antenna to purchase and how you can get the best of your antenna online.