BIOS update is crucial for a smooth-running motherboard and PC. The good news is that you don’t have to use the BIOS screen of your motherboard or the EZFlash software. A BIOS flashback is relatively easy to perform on your own if you carefully adhere to the instructions.
Requirements For Using BIOS Flashback
Note that you should only use the Asus BIOS Flashback if your PC power light switches on and your display doesn’t or when your motherboard doesn’t turn on.
A single-sector (FAT16/ 32 MBR formatted) USB flash drive of 1GB or more is also required.
You can prepare your USB flash drive by formatting it first. Go to your USB flash drive tab and right-click. Select “Format,” and a menu will appear. Under “File system,” select “FAT32” and click “Start.”
Steps on How to Use Asus BIOS Flashback
Before we consider the steps, ensure that you don’t overlook any of these instructions. Now, let’s highlight each step one after the other.
Step 1: Download the latest BIOS software
• Visit this website to download the latest BIOS software (manuals, drivers, and firmware included).
• Ensure that you are downloading the latest BIOS package meant for your motherboard model by entering the model name of your motherboard.
• On the website, click “Driver and Utility,” then “BIOS and FIRMWARE.”
• Choose the compatible BIOS version that appears and download it.
• Save the downloaded BIOS file to your USB flash drive.
Step 2: Extract the downloaded file
• The BIOS file will be in compressed format, so you need to extract all.
• Double-click “BIOSRnamer,” and it will automatically rename to include [.CAP].
• Once the renaming is complete, you can press any key to close the naming window.
Step 4: Transfer the file to your USB flash drive and begin the flashback
• You can now copy or move the BIOS file to the root directory of your USB flash drive.
• Shut down your PC but don’t disconnect the power.
• Attach the flash drive to the “USB FLASHBACK” port on your motherboard.
• Press and hold the “BIOS FLASHBACK” button for three seconds, and the flashback LED light will blink three times. The blink implies that the BIOS flashback has now started successfully.
Please note: it typically takes about 8 minutes for the process to complete, and for the duration, don’t take out the USB flash drive, disconnect the power supply, switch off the PC or press the CLR_CMOS button.
If you do any of those things, you will disrupt the update, and the system will fail to boot. Be patient and wait for the LED light to turn off, showing that the process is complete. You can take out the flash drive and proceed to switch on your PC.
You can check to confirm that the BIOS update was successful by booting your PC and then pressing the F2 or Del key. The main menu of the BIOS settings page will appear, and you can go on to view the screen and confirm that it corresponds with the BIOS version you just updated.