HBO Max is a premium streaming service that provides access to numerous content like movies, documentaries, TV shows, series, and lots more. Many Roku users enjoy HBO Max on their devices.
To stream content on HBO Max, you’ll have to subscribe (at $14.99 per month) after using up a seven-day free trial. The streaming schedule on HBO Max is flexible and you can create up to five different profiles at once. If you are too busy to stream at a particular time, you can download the content and stream it later at your convenience, even offline.
Just as you can subscribe to HBO Max directly on Roku, you can as well cancel the subscription anytime you wish, either on the website or mobile app. However, it’ll interest you to know that even if you cancel the subscription, you’ll still be able to stream content till the fixed date of expiration.
Let’s dive in and see how to cancel HBO Max on Roku
How to Cancel HBO Max Subscription on Roku
Here are the basic steps to follow to cancel HBO Max subscription on your Roku device:
- Switch on your Roku device. Press the ‘home’ button on the remote. A drop-down menu will appear
- Go to the HBO Max app
- Scroll to the HBO Max app and press the ‘ok’ button on the remote
- A list of different options will appear. Select ‘manage subscription’. A drop-down menu will appear
- Select ‘cancel subscription’ to begin the termination of the subscription
- Confirm the cancellation by selecting ‘cancel subscription’ again.
- Lastly, select ‘done’.
Roku Website: How to Cancel HBO Max Subscription
To cancel an HBO Max subscription on the Roku website, you’ll need to follow the following procedures:
- Open a browser (web page) on your PC, and go to the Roku website
- Select ‘sign in’ and fill in the needed details of your Roku account
- Scroll to the ‘manage account’ tab and select ‘manage your subscriptions’.
- Click on ‘HBO Max subscription’ from the list of existing subscriptions.
- To cancel the subscription, select ‘unsubscribe’.
- Click on ‘done’ to confirm the cancellation of the subscription.
HBO Max Website: How to Cancel HBO Max Subscription
If you signed up on HBO Max via its official website (HBO Max site), the procedures to follow to ensure successful cancellation of the subscription is as follows:
- Go to the HBO Max website on your PC browser
- At the top right corner of the screen, you’ll see ‘sign in’. Click on it and enter your subscription details
- Click on your profile icon and select ‘billing information’. A drop-down menu will appear
- Select ‘manage subscription’
- Scroll down to ‘my account page’, and select ‘cancel subscription’
- Click on ‘yes, cancel subscription’ to successfully cancel the HBO Max subscription
How to Change HBO Max Subscription Plans on Roku
If you decide to opt for another subscription plan after subscribing already, here’s a guide to follow:
- On your Roku device, open HBO Max
- Go to the settings icon on the bottom left corner and select ‘account’
- From the menu that appears, select ‘switch plans’
- From the different available options, choose the subscription plan (with Ads or without Ads) you’d like to opt for.
- Select your preferred payment period (monthly or yearly)
- Click on ‘select plan’ to confirm your new plan
How to Manage HBO Max Subscription
Effective management of your HBO Max subscriptions depends solely on how you subscribe.
- If your subscription was upgraded to HBO Max on the Roku channel subscription or you subscribed using Roku Pay, you can manage your subscription including other subscriptions done on Roku Pay on myroku.com.
- If you subscribed to HBO Max using another streaming provider such as Apple TV or Amazon, you’ll only be able to manage your subscription through that provider.
- If you subscribed to HBO Max via cable or another provider such as Hulu, AT&T, or Spectrum, you’ll have to contact that provider to manage your subscription.
Reasons Why HBO Max App Isn’t Working on Roku TV
The HBO Max app can cease functioning on your Roku TV because of the following reasons:
- Unstable internet connection
- Incompatibility of the HBO Max app with your Roku TV
- Outdated version of Roku software
- Low maintenance of Roku or HBO Max servers
- Low storage app (low memory)
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I cancel my HBO Max subscription through a provider?
Some cable TV and streaming service providers such as Apple iTunes, YouTube TV, DirecTV, and Roku, give customers access to subscribe to HBO Max through their service.
Yes, you can cancel your HBO Max subscription through these providers. But, you’ll need to sign in to your account on any of those streaming services to manage your subscription. If you have difficulties doing that, reach out to your provider’s Help Support.
Can I cancel an HBO Max Free Trial?
Canceling a free trial on HBO Max involves the same process as canceling a premium subscription. However, the HBO Max Free Trial promotion no longer exists.
How do I cancel HBO Max on Amazon?
- Log in to your Amazon account on a web browser to access the Amazon app store subscriptions.
- Go to ‘my apps’ and select ‘manage subscription’.
- Then, turn off auto-renewal.
How do I sign in if I already have access to HBO Max content?
You can access the HBO Max channel on your Roku device if you subscribed to HBO Max, by filling in your HBO account login details. Once the prompt response pops up, be sure to choose ‘access all HBO Max’.
On the other hand, if you subscribed to HBO Max with your satellite (or cable), you can use the password and username provided by your cable provider to gain access to the HBO Max channel on your Roku device.
Will I be able to access HBO Max if I subscribed to HBO on Roku Channel?
If you subscribed to HBO on The Roku Channel, your subscription will switch to an HBO Max subscription at no additional cost. On the Roku website, your subscription will reflect as HBO Max instead of HBO on the Roku channel.
To use your existing subscription to watch your favorite HBO shows, you’ll have to, first of all, add the HBO Max channel to your Roku device. After you launch the channel and initiate playback of any title, you will be instructed to create an account with HBO Max. This will allow you to manage HBO Max settings and preferences on your mobile device or PC and sign in to the service on other devices without extra charges.
Can I use the HBO Max subscription from my Roku device to sign in to HBO Max on other devices?
Yes. All you need to do is log in to HBO Max on the other devices using the same password and username you used when creating your HBO Max account.