Youtube is a streaming tool that has billions of video views worldwide daily and has gained acclaim globally over time. It is primarily a free-to-use tool; many more people are drawn to it. The paid plan gives extra features such as access to YouTube music premium and watching videos without the occasional and often annoying ad popping up.
There are tons of videos to watch on youtube; sports documentaries, cooking shows, music videos, even movies. Youtube would always suggest more exciting stuff for you to watch, which means you can spend hours on the platform and not get bored.
While it is great to find information on YouTube about almost every topic on earth, there might come a time when you would need to pause or cancel the paid subscription.
Why take a break from YouTube?
- It is becoming addictive: YouTube Tv has billions of videos that are either free or paid for. This means there’s always one exciting video to be seen after the last and one could spend a lot of time just surfing their website or mobile app. Except for research purposes, you could end up spending too much time on YouTube.
- The cost: YouTube premium goes for about $12 a month or $144 a year. At some point, you might realize that you need to focus your finances on something else. You can pause or cancel YouTube for a while if that ever happens.
- Data Consumption: YouTube is a streaming app that would require a lot of data for heavy hitters that spend hours on it. If you spend a lot of time on YouTube, your phone bill would most likely be higher than expected at the end of your billing cycle.
- Video Quality: YouTube is notorious for having poor-quality videos for a streaming platform. For anyone that prefers their videos to be in HD or 4K, it is time to consider other options. Tons of other platforms offer much better quality videos and streaming experiences.
How to cancel YouTube TV subscription On a PC
First, log in to your YouTube account to get started
After logging in successfully, click on your profile avatar to the top right corner of your computer
From the dropdown menu to your left, click on “settings.”
To the right, click on “manage,” which is next to the base plan.
Ideally, YouTube will make some last-ditch effort to keep you on the paid plan. This is to be expected since no one wants to lose a customer. They will offer you the chance to pause your membership as against canceling. If that option appeals to you, then you can go ahead to choose the period for which you wish to pause. Note that you will be billed automatically at the end of the pause period.
The pause period can last between 4 weeks to 6 months and limits your access to several premium contents.
If, however, you are determined to cancel your YouTube subscription, then go ahead and click on “cancel” to continue with the process.
Next, you can provide a reason for canceling. However, this is just for feedback purposes as they want to get a better insight into why you wish to cancel your subscription. There are several reasons to choose from to explain why you are canceling.
You can then click on “continue canceling.” If you choose “other” as your reason, you will be required to provide more details for your action at this point. Not to worry, they want to understand why you are leaving the paid plan.
By clicking on “yes cancel,” you agree to close your premium account permanently. Remember that you cannot undo this action, and your membership will be canceled once your current subscription expires.
How to cancel your YouTube TV subscription from a mobile device
Say a computer is not available immediately; you can cancel the subscription from your phone. You can download the app from playstore here.
Sadly, this app is not available for iPhone users; we’ll take a look at how to pause or cancel your subscription from an iPhone or iPad later on in this guide.
- Open the mobile app on your phone, then click on the profile avatar to the top right.
- From the menu options, click on “setting.”
- Click on “membership” to see the options.
- Kudos on coming this far. Next, click on “manage.”
- As you know by now, you can either proceed to cancel your membership entirely or take a break for a few weeks. Whichever works best for you, you can choose this point.
- Before finalizing the cancellation, you can provide a reason for closing the account. If the option isn’t listed, you can choose “other,” then go ahead to write out your reason, then click on “continue canceling.”
- As expected, they would make one last attempt to keep you by making a list of what you stand to lose out on. You could still have a change of heart and ditch the idea of canceling. If, however, your mind is made up, click on “yes cancel” to make it final.
How to cancel Your YouTube subscription from iPhone or iPad
The process is not much different from what we have explored already for iPhone and iPad users.
- Go to tv.youtube.com
- Next, go to settings and click on it.
- Click on “membership.”
- Click on “pause” if you wish to stop for a period, or click on “cancel” to opt-out permanently.
What happens after you pause or cancel YouTube?
If you’ve decided to cancel your YouTube TV subscription, you might wonder what happens after it’s done.
After You Pause:
- This period lasts anywhere from 4 weeks to 6 months, and you can jump right back by making payment after your original plan expires.
- You would still have access to all premium features until your subscription expires.
- You won’t be able to access and or save new programs while your account has been paused.
- Previously recorded programs will be available to you within the pause duration but will disappear after your subscription expires.
- Once the pause period is over, your card will be billed automatically.
- You can decide to resume your subscription at any time within the pause period. You will be charged and all premium features restored.
After You Cancel:
- You will have access to all programs, new and old until your subscription expires. Afterward, YouTube will deny you access to all premium features.
- All recordings in your library will expire after twenty-one days from the day you cancel.
- You would not be able to create any new add-on network.
- If you decide to start a new membership in the future with the same email, you would not be eligible for promotional prices but would have to pay the standard fee for monthly or yearly subscriptions.
- All recorded programs will be lost if you decide to restart your membership later, hence why you need to be sure before canceling.
- Google has the right to store certain information about you to prevent fraud.
Alternatives to YouTube TV
Other online platforms provide us with the same or better viewing experience as YouTube. Note that these platforms are also more secure and provide much higher video quality than most of what we see on YouTube.
- DailyMotion: It is otherwise known as a Youtube clone; it is excellent for sharing videos online. It has a paid that is pretty secure for content creators.
- Vimeo: A creative community that offers excellent video security for membership platforms to ensure visitors can’t easily download your videos
- Twitch: Known by gamers as a place to get a fantastic gaming experience either by yourself or with other gamers globally.
- Vevo: An excellent alternative for Youtube for everything music. It offers live streaming and downloads of your favorite songs on the internet
- MetaCafe: For hipsters who want nothing to do with YouTube