Seeing movies on a big screen has its advantages. However, many new movies are not available in theaters and can only be streamed on the HBO app.
HBO is a platform that allows for the streaming of a variety of blockbuster movies, world-class shows, hit series, and a variety of exclusive and unlimited HBO Max content. However, not all TVs have the HBO app.
So to enjoy HBO contents you will need to cast to your TV. HBO Max app is a cast-ready app, and you can screencast anything from your Android or iOS (iPhone or iPad) device.
Here’s a detailed guide on three best ways to cast HBO Max on TV.
How to Cast HBO on TV
1. Cast HBO Using Google Chromecast
If your smart TVs does not have the HBO app, you can stream HBO Max films and series on any TV, using the Chromecast wireless technology.
All you’ll need is wi-fi access, TV or Chromecast dongle, PC with an updated version of Chrome browser or a smartphone (android or iPhone) with HBO Max app, and an active HBO Max account.
You can successfully Chromecast HBO Max on TV from two devices. They include:
1. Smartphone (iPhone or Android)
2. PC (desktop or laptop)
Chromecast HBO on TV using a Smartphone
To successfully cast HBO Max contents on your TV with the help of your smartphone, you’ll have to follow the steps below:
- Turn on your wi-fi. Connect Chromecast and your casting device (such as Xbox console or Apple TV) to the same wi-fi connection.
- Go to the apps column on your smartphone and open the HBO Max app
- A prompt response will appear. Either log in or sign up with your account to get started.
- Search for any content (film or series) you want to stream from your TV and select to start playing it.
- Then, scroll to the top-right side of the television and click on the Cast (or Airplay) icon.
- Once this Cast icon pops up, select your Chromecast TV and make a connection
- To know if the casting process is successful, you’ll be able to view the same contents on your casting screen on Chromecast TV.
Chromecast HBO on TV Using PC
To be able to successfully cast content on your HBO Max account from your PC to your television, the following steps must be followed:
- Begin by connecting your Chromecast TV and laptop (or desktop) to the same internet connection.
- Search https://www.hbomax.com/ on your PC using the address bar in the Chrome browser
- A search page will appear. Click on ‘log in’ or ‘sign in’ to log into your account. If you don’t have an account already, click on ‘sign up’ to create a new account.
- On the interface of the HBO Max website, choose any content and right-click on any space on the screen.
- A drop-down menu will appear. Select the ‘cast option’.
- Once the Cast menu tab appears, select ‘Sources’. Another drop-down menu will appear. Click on the name of the Chromecast TV.
- When the devices are successfully connected, your Chromecast will refresh and begin playing HBO Max on your TV.
2. Cast HBO Using AirPlay
You can also stream HBO Max from your iPhone/ iPad to your TV. However, you’ll need to have an Apple TV or AirPlay functionality built into your smart TV.
Here’s the process to follow to successfully stream HBO Max contents on your TV using Airplay:
- Turn on Airplay on your Apple TV or smart TV. Ensure that your iPad or iPhone and TV are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Open HBO Max on your iPhone (or iPad). Select the film (or series) you want to watch on TV and start playing. The film will show on your TV screen.
- Tap the screen. The control menu of the app will appear. Select your TV model. If a passcode is requested, enter it on your iPhone to continue.
- You can also open the control center on your iPhone and use the window player to control your movie stream, as well as the lock screen player. With this, you will be able to pause or play, forward or skip, or open the Remote app, where you get more control. Take note that if you leave the HBO Max app, it’ll start mirroring whatever you’re looking at.
- Tap the AirPlay icon at the top-right corner of the screen, just beside the left of the volume slider.
- From the pop-up menu, select the Apple TV or AirPlay device you want to send the video to.
- To disconnect, tap the AirPlay icon. Then, select iPhone.
3. Cast HBO Using HDMI Cable
Apart from the aforementioned options, you can also cast HBO Max on TV using an HDMI cable connected from your TV to your mobile device.
If you’re using an iPhone (or iPad), you’ll need to have a Digital Lightning AV Adapter and an HDMI cable (which will be used to physically connect your desktop or laptop to your TV).
For android devices, you’ll need an MHL to HDMI cable with a Micro-USB adapter or a USB Type-C to HDMI adapter and an HDMI cable.
To cast HBO Max contents on your TV using an HDMI cable, follow the steps below.
- After you must have gotten all the needed cables, connect your mobile device to your TV
- Change the input on the TV to that of the HDMI cable you just plugged in
- Then, start playing videos in HBO Max. It’ll appear on your TV screen
HBO Chromecast Not Working – Fixes
Chromecast devices and HBO Max are bound to develop connection related issues due to the following reasons:
- Chromecast devices and mobile devices are not connected to the same internet source. Make sure they’re both connected to a single internet source.
- HBO Max servers are down. You’ll have to wait or call customer services.
- Full memory (data and cache will have to be deleted)
- The Chromecast device requires an update
- The HBO Max account is out of date
How to Cast HBO on TV Outside the US
Currently, there is no HBO Max outside the United States. To stream HBO Max abroad, you must have access to a premium VPN to avoid restrictions.
Follow the steps below to watch HBO Max contents anywhere in the world:
- Register with a premium VPN provider (preferably, ExpressVPN for HBO Max).
- Download the VPN app on your mobile device or PC (whichever device you intend to use to cast HBO Max).
- Open the VPN app and connect with the US server from the list.
- Go to your Smart TV app store and download ExpressVPN
- Sign in with your credentials and connect with the US server.
- Setup Chromecast on your mobile device (or PC) and TV. Ensure all devices are connected to the same Wi-Fi.
- Open the HBO Max app on your mobile device (or PC) and select a title
- Click on the Google Cast button to start streaming HBO Max on TV outside the US.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I stream HBO Max on multiple devices?
Yes. HBO Max can be streamed on three different devices at the same time.
Does HBO Max have a specific location?
HBO Max is available to only those in the United States and its environs. However, persons in neighboring states can try accessing it with the help of a VPN connection.
Is there any difference between HBO Now, HBO GO, and HBO Max?
Yes. There are differences since they are different versions of HBO. Also, the contents available on each of these versions differ depending on the service plan you opt for. Currently, HBO Max ranks as the best. HBO Now will be going into extinction soon while HBO Go has been shut down.