Apple AirPods is one of the best and fast-selling wireless headphones in the market. They are durable, strong, and have the latest technology integration.
The distinct qualities of AirPods make them one of the most-preferred headphones by people across different countries. Statistically, millions of AirPods have been sold annually in the past 4-5 years.
One distinct quality of Apple AirPods is that you can change your AirPods name. If you have been looking for a way to do that, this post is for you.
In this post, you will learn how to change your AirPods name. You can do this in a few basic steps. Read on to know more.
How to Change Your AirPods Name
Changing your AirPods name is easy. This article will teach you how to do it with iOS and Mac devices.
The process is simple and similar in both cases. On your iPhone and iPad, you can change the name in the Settings app, while you can change it in the System Preference on Mac devices.
Below is a further breakdown of how to do it with both operating systems.
Method 1: Rename Your AirPods Name on iPhone or iPad
The steps to rename your AirPods name are the same in whichever generation of AirPods you own.
Step 1: Keep Your AirPods Out of the Case
The first step to rename your AirPods on iPhone or IPad is to keep the pair of AirPods out of the AirPods case.
Step 2: Pair the AirPods with your iPhone/iPad
Once the pair of AirPods is out of the case, the next step is to pair them with your iPhone like you want to use them with the phone.
Step 3: Complete the Process Using the Settings App
You can complete the AirPods name-changing process from the Settings app on your phone. Do the following:
- Navigate to the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Go to Bluetooth.
- Scroll through the list of available devices till you find your AirPods.
- Tap the information icon (the i icon) next to your AirPods name on the list.
- Tap on the name option.
- Type a new AirPod name of your choice in the name field.
- Click the done button on the device’s keyboard.
- That way, the AirPods name changing is complete on your iPhone or iPad.
Method 2: Rename Your AirPods Name on Mac
As a Mac user, how to change your AirPods name is slightly different, and you will learn how to do it in this section.
Step 1: Take the AirPods Out of the Case
The first step here is to take out the AirPods from the case. Leaving it in the case will disconnect it from your device, and you will not be able to proceed with the other steps.
Step 2: Pair the AirPods with your Mac
After taking the AirPods out of the case, pair them with your Mac device. The pairing is the same as when you want to listen to audio with the AirPods.
Step 3: Complete the Process From the System Preferences
With your AirPods connected to your Mac device, change the name from the device system preferences.
Here is what to do:
- Launch the System Preference on your Mac device. You can do this by tapping the Apple icon at the top left corner of your screen. Select System Preferences from the options on the drop-down menu that displays.
- From the System Preferences, select Bluetooth.
- Find your device Bluetooth from the list of devices that appear.
- Right-click your AirPods and select rename. You can right-click by holding the Ctrl key while you click.
- Enter the new name of your choice into the field that displays.
- Click on rename once more to complete the change.
These steps will change your AirPods name on Mac.
Why Should You Change Your AirPods Name?
Your pair of AirPods comes with a default name. So why should you change it?
There are several reasons why you may change your AirPods name. Let’s see some of them.
Customize Your AirPods to Become Unique
One of the reasons for changing your AirPods name may be to give your Pods a unique name. It is even more necessary when you own more than a pair of AirPods or when more people around you also have the device.
Changing the name of your AirPods will give you a unique and custom name so that you can differentiate your AirPods from others easily.
Easily Find Your AirPods if they Get Lost
Changing your AirPods name can help you find them when they get lost.
AirPods have similar colors and do not look different from one another, but a pair of AirPods with a customized name will stand out when trying to connect with it.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you Change AirPods Name More than Once?
Yes, you can change your AirPods name more than once. There is no limit to the number of times you can change the name of your AirPods.
Follow the same steps discussed in this article whenever you feel like changing the name again.
Can you Change the AirPods Name Back to Default?
You can change your AirPods name back to the default name if you wish.
To do this, you will need to reset your AirPods.
If you need help to reset your AirPods, follow the steps below.
- Leave your pair of AirPods in the case.
- Open the lid of the AirPods case
- Find the AirPods setup button. It is on the back of the AirPods.
- Hold the button down for about 15 seconds or till the status light flashes.
- Release the button when the status light flashes white then amber.
This process will reset your AirPods, and the name will change to the default name.
Note that you can always change the name again from the default name whenever you wish to do so.
Changing your AirPods name is easy. It is also necessary to change your AirPods name to identify your AirPods among many AirPods.
In addition, you can change your AirPods name multiple times, and you can also reset the AirPods to change it back to the default name.