Today, large number of individuals play PlayStation. If you own a PS4 Pro/Slim or PS4 and want to know how to connect it to an older device, this article is for you.
Kindly note that older devices do not come with HDMI.
It is pretty complex to link your latest gaming consoles to your older TV. Since your older TV may not have an HDMI port, it may have a DVI port/Composite port or VGA port.
However, PS4 comes with only an HDMI cable/port, so you would need a converter to convert HDMI for each requirement. You can do this using the following methods:
What is the requirement for connecting PS4 to an older TV?
A converter links a high-end console to a non-HDMI source by making the signal compatible with its output.
Here, you should get HDMI to RCA converters if your TV does not have an HDMI port but has other composite inputs (white, yellow, red). If your TV has DVI, you have to get an HDMI to DVI converter or an HDMI to RCA converter.
This means you can transmit AV signals with such converters.
How to convert from HDMI to DVI
HDMI and DVI are all digital signals, meaning better results are available when DVI is input with the monitor on TV than adapters. It will help prevent poor audio or audio loss, just like an HDMI composite converter.
1) Plug the HDMI cable into your PS4 and link the other end to your DVI converter.
2) Plug the converter in, and link the DVI cable to the other end of that DVI cable.
3) Convert the Display to its proper input and switch on the PS4. You will see the Sony Logo in its function. Increase the volume and test the sound display. Note that if these methods above do not work, you would have to get a new TV.
How to connect PS4 with HDMI to TV
You have two choices, which are wireless or wired. The PS4 game console has an HDMI output, but you can skip the HDMI connection with an older TV. Most TVs now come with an HDMI port.
First method: Hook up with DVI to Cable/HDMI Converter
DVI and HDMI ports function on digital signals, and you should know that DVI doesn’t support audio signals if you plan to buy a Soundbar using optical output. You need to connect an “HDMI to DVI cable.” It can work if you have a DVI to HDMI converter or HDMI to DVI converter.
Link an HDMI cable to your PS4 HDMI output port and the other end to your TV or PC’s DVI port. If you purchased the converter, you have to link the other DVI converter to show the TV.
Switch on the Display and choose the correct input, then switch on your PlayStation. All that becomes visible is the Sony Logo on Display; you can tap the volume up to test the sound.
Second method With HDMI to Composite Converter
If you have no plans to buy a Soundbar, this method is suitable for you. It would help if you had a Composite Cable, HDMI to Composite Converter, and HDMI cable. You can get an HDMI to Composite cable, but there is no quality guarantee with some audio issues.
1) Link the HDMI cable to your PS4 and the other end to your Composite Converter. Attach the USB power cable to the HDMI Converter.
2) Attach the Composite cable to the Converter and your TV for each color mode.
3) Switch on the TV and choose the correct input. The Sony Logo should display.
Third method: How to link PS4 to PC Monitor VGA
If you are interested in linking your PC Monitor, which has a VGA port in place of an HDMI port, you will need a VGA cable with an HDMI cable, an HDMI Switch, and an HDMI VGA converter.
You need the HDMI Switch because PS4 does not directly connect to a monitor or a converter.
VGA ports do not support audio signal, but their adapters have a separate jack.
1) Connect a VGA cable to your TV with an HDMI to VGA adapter.
2) Attach your headphones/speaker audio jack to the adapter.
3) Connect the HDMI adapter to the HDMI switch output.
4) Power your device with the HDMI switch power cable, since PS4 will not power on the switch.
5) Connect the HDMI cable to your PS4, and the other end to the Switch input.
6) Switch on the monitor; you are now linked to the PC monitor.
It would be best if you had a high quality HDMI cable to link to your TV. Ensure that you switch off your TV and PlayStation 4 before you begin.
Link the HDMI output Gaming Console to your HDMI cable.
- Link the extra HDMI cable terminal to an HDMI TV port.
- Attach the PS4 gaming console to power it on.
- On the HDMI TV entry, put it to HDMI mode by tapping Inputs/Remote Source.
How to connect if the HDMI port gets broken
If your HDMI port gets broken, you will have to replace it. Many of them come with push-back pins, and they no longer contain the cables. Even though you can push such pins back many times, it is not the best way to store them.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you convert PS4 to TV Wirelessly
You can connect to the WiFi using the PlayStation 4 console; move to “Settings,” “Network,” “Connect to the web,” and choose WiFi.
How can you connect PlayStation Wireless with Remote Play Connection Settings?
When you link the systems with WiFi directly, choose “Setup” from your PS4TM function screen (Remote Play Connection Settings) and then select the check box (PSTV/PS Vita connection directly) to create a checkmark.
What can you use to connect to FTV without using HDMI?
There are various options: an RCA cable, HDMI converter, 5-cable RCA cable, and composite video connections.