Sonos remains one of the leading brands when it comes to audio products. Their products include quality soundbars, subwoofers, and decent amplifiers.
Sonos products appeal to users who like the idea of multi-room audio, and with the timely release of new products, they keep setting the bar high.
If you just got your hands on a Sonos product and you are wondering how to connect it to a Bluetooth device to enjoy high-quality sound output with voice control options, this is the right article for you.
This article will show you how to connect the Sonos Bluetooth using the core products of the Sonos brand: Move, Roam, and One as case studies.
How To Pair Sonos Move To Bluetooth
Sonos Move is the first-ever portable Bluetooth speaker produced by the company. It’s a Sonos WiFi speaker, so if you want to pair it with a Bluetooth device, you need to set it up with the Sonos app on WiFi before it can change to Bluetooth mode.
How Do I Set Up A New Sonos System?
You do not need a computer to set up a Sonos system as Sonos products are usually set up on the Sonos S2 app. All you need is a WiFi connection, your Sonos speaker plugged in, and the Sonos app installed on your mobile device.
You can set up your Sonos system using the following steps:
- Click Set up a new system on the Sonos S2 mobile app.
- Create a new account or log in to an existing one.
- Add your new Sonos product.
- Follow the app guide to complete the setup process.
You can then pair your Sonos Move with Bluetooth through the following steps:
- Press the Bluetooth button at the back of your Sonos Move once. The LED indicator will turn blue to switch it to Bluetooth mode.
- Enable the Bluetooth mode by pressing and holding the Bluetooth button till Move chimes and the LED indicator flashes blue again.
- Turn on the Bluetooth on your device.
- Search and select Move from the available Bluetooth to connect. Once the connection is completed, your speaker will chime and display a solid blue light.
If you can’t find Move on the list of available devices, it might not be in pairing mode yet, and it’s only in pairing mode if the LED indicator flashes blue light.
Sonos Move will not be displayed on the app while using Bluetooth. However, features like playback and volume controls will be available through the paired Bluetooth device but might lose some features like Voice Assistant and Stereo Pairing.
How To Connect To Sonos Roam Via Bluetooth
The Sonos Roam is a portable speaker with Bluetooth and WiFi connectivity; it needs to be set on WiFi with the Sonos app to connect to your device with Bluetooth.
You can connect your Sonos Roam to Bluetooth through the following steps:
- Set your Roam to pairing mode by pressing and holding the power button till the LED indicator flashes blue.
- Turn on the Bluetooth of your device
- Search and select Roam from the available Bluetooth on your device.
Roam will chime if the connection is successful, and the LED indicator will turn solid blue.
You can also pair a different device to Roam after you’ve paired one before. Follow the steps below to pair Sonos Roam with a different device:
- Press and hold the power button for a few seconds till you hear the pairing tone and LED indicator flashes blue.
- If the LED indicator shows solid blue, Roam has already been paired with a different device. Repeat the process to set Roam into pairing mode.
- Select Roam from your device’s Bluetooth and pair.
NOTE: If the pairing is successful, the LED indicator will turn solid blue, and the pairing tone will chime.
Sonos Bluetooth Not Pairing What To Do?
If your Bluetooth device can’t pair with Sonos products, you can try any or all of the following processes to troubleshoot it:
- Ensure your Sonos is in Bluetooth discovery mode. The LED indicator on your Sonos starts flashing blue if it’s in discovery mode. If your Sonos is the portable Move, ensure to set it up on WiFi before pairing it with Bluetooth.
- The distance between devices usually affects the connection strength. Bring your Sonos and the Bluetooth closer to get quality connection strength.
- Remove any interference between your Sonos and the Bluetooth device.
Sonos Product Can’t Connect With The Sonos App How To Fix It?
When your Sonos product has trouble connecting with the Sonos S2 app, the “Unable to connect to Sonos” message will pop up. You can tap the message and follow the in-app steps to get your Sonos connected.
If you’re an IOS 14 user, you need to enable the new app permission to connect your Sonos. Follow the steps below to enable it:
- Go to your device settings app.
- Select Privacy and choose Local Network.
- From the list, enable access for Sonos.
However, if the connection problem persists, try the following quick fixes to troubleshoot:
- Unplug your router for some minutes, then plug it in again.
- Plug your power cord tightly.
- Turn off the VPN connection on your device.
- Ensure you connect your Bluetooth device and Sonos product to the same WiFi network.
- Change router completely and reconnect Sonos.