Is HBO Max on Roku? That’s one question we get asked all the time. Absolutely yes, you can stream and watch HBO max on your Roku device. On December 17 2020 a deal was struck to allow users to get HBO Max on Roku.
Different streaming platforms give users access to their favorite TV shows, movies, series, etc. Platforms like Netflix, YouTube, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and of course HBO Max, etc.
These platforms have unique features that make them stand out from each other. However, regardless of their uniqueness, they all have a common goal of bringing entertainment to viewers. So how do you stream your favorite show airing on HBO Max on Roku?
What is HBO Max?
HBO Max is a prominent streaming app with a wide variety of content, blockbuster movies, TV shows, and HBO show catalogs. This streaming service features original content, classical movies, and a host of series and movies from prominent entertainment companies.
HBO Max has over 10,000 hours of premium film and TV content and is currently the exclusive platform for all new Warner Media releases. The HBO Max pricing features a 7-day free trial, after which users start paying $14.99 monthly.
Generally, there is a signup discount of 20% on membership by pre-paying for six months upfront. That is, when you purchase a six months plan, you will pay $69.99.
However, AT&T customers are eligible for a free year of HBO Max with their device (mobile phone) or internet service. So how do you access HBO Max? Roku comes to mind.
Yes, Roku is one of the easiest ways to access HBO Max. You can do that through a Roku streaming device or Roku Tv. If you do not have HBO Max on your Roku device or Tv, you need to install it.
How to Install HBO Max on Roku
Below are steps on how to install and add HBO Max on Roku:
- Power on your Roku device or Tv
- On the Roku remote, press the Home button
- Once the options on the home button appear, click on Streaming channels
- Click on the search channel
- And search for HBO Max using the virtual keyboard on the screen
- Proceed to select HBO Max
- Then Add Channel
However, if you already have and subscribe to HBO Now on your Roku device/Tv before the launch of HBO Max, then the channel should update automatically to the new service.
Also, if you subscribed to HBO through the Roku Channel before the Launch of HBO Max, your HBO on the Roku channel subscription will automatically become an HBO Max subscription. The good thing is this upgrade comes at no additional cost.
How to Watch HBO Max on Roku
As mentioned above, watching HBO Max on Roku is a seamless process. Below is a simple guide on how to watch HBO Max on Roku:
- On the Roku device/TV home screen, select Streaming Channels
- Navigate to the HBO Max app, click and open it
- Click on the show/movie you want to watch
- On the prompt to sign in, Sign in to HBO Max using your existing login details.
- Then select access all of HBO max on the next prompt
Once you log in, you can access the app repeatedly through Roku without having to sign in each time you want to watch a movie/show.
How to Get HBO Max Roku free trial
To get access to the HBO Max Roku free trial, you have to download the HBO Max app via the Roku Channel Store. Next, you’ll need to sign up through Hulu or Amazon Prime Channels to get access to the free 7-day trial.
Since Roku no longer offers standalone subscriptions to HBO or HBO Max through its Roku Channel store, your best options are to sign up to HBO Max directly on their website or get a free week as a Hulu add-on or through Amazon Prime Video Channels.
HBO Max Roku Not Working? How to Fix HBO Max Error on Roku
If you have issues with the HBO Max app on Roku, whether it is freezing or crashing, you are not alone.
Luckily, you can fix these errors with some simple hacks. Below are tips on how to fix HBO Max errors on Roku device/Tv:
- Restarting your Roku device
Try powering off your Roku device. Leave it for a few minutes and power it on again.
- Log out of HBO
Log out your HBO details on all Roku devices/Tvs, then log in again.
- Reinstall HBO Max.
Uninstall and reinstall HBO Max on your Roku device/TV. It is advisable to give your HBO Max app home screen time to load correctly before browsing for movies to watch.
- Watch Directly from Roku Search
Search for the HBO Maxcontent you want to view from Roku Search. Once you see the movie, play it.
- Switch Device
Watch HBO Max content on another device, then switch back to your Roku device and resume watching.
Alternatively, you can consider clearing the cache and data on your Roku device.
Clearing Roku Cache and Data
Below is how to clear Roku’s cache and data:
- On the Roku device/Tv, select the Home button
- Click on the main menu
- Press the Home button of the Roku device repeatedly (five times)
- Then press the Up button and Rewind button twice
- Press the Fast Forward button twice
- Once you follow these steps, the device should start clearing
Updating your Roku Device
The issue might be from the Roku device; you might be using an outdated operating system version. Your Roku device must be running on Roku OS 9.3 to watch HBO Max on Roku. If your device is running on an older version, follow the steps below to do an upgrade:
- On your Roku home screen, click the menu button
- Navigate to settings
- Click on System
- Scroll down and select System Update
- Press the Check Now button
- Follow the on-screen prompt to install available updates.
Alternatively, you can cast your screen by mirroring from your smartphone or PC to your Roku device.
HBO Max Roku Price
HBO Max has a regular subscription price of $14.99 per month, which gives you access to 10,000 hours of curated premium content. If you already have a subscription for HBO NOW, you can begin watching HBO Max on Roku at no additional cost. Just enter your existing HBO email and password.
Wondering the difference between HBO Max and HBO NOW? None really. HBO Max is the same as the standard HBO streaming service, which was previously known as HBO Now.
How to Watch HBO Max in Canada, UK or India
If you’re in Canada, UK, or India, you can get HBO Max by simply using a VPN. We recommend using Express VPN. If you’re in Canada, you can also subscribe and watch HBO Max on Crave.
HBO Max Roku Pin
If you’re trying to add HBO Max to your Roku device and it’s requiring a Roku PIN (Personal Identification Number), don’t panic if you don’t have one or have lost the one you had. All you need to do is to log into your Roku account and change your PIN.
Steps to Get or Update Your Roku Pin
- Login to your Roku account at my.roku.com
- Under PIN Preference, select the Update button.
- Select your preference from the three PIN choices. It’s best to select one that is convenient for you! If you just want to protect your payment, use ‘Always require a PIN to make purchases‘. If you want to protect your payment and channel store, use ‘Always require a PIN to make purchases and to add items from the Channel Store‘ If on the other hand, you don’t ever want to see another PIN request, use ‘A PIN is not required to make any purchase or add any item from the Channel Store.‘
- If your choice requires a PIN and you have not created one, you will be prompted to enter a four-digit number in the PIN field and select the Verify PIN field for confirmation.
- If you already have a PIN, you can enter your PIN in the Verify PIN field.
- Click on Save Changes and agree to the terms of service.
How to Cancel HBO Max Roku
To cancel your HBO Max Roku;
- Select the HBO Max app from a Roku streaming device
- Click on the start button on your remote.
- From the options menu, select ‘Manage Subscription’
- Next, click on ‘Cancel Subscription‘
If you want to cancel online, go to my.roku.com, navigate to Manage Account, click on Manage Subscriptions, click on Active Subscriptions and choose Cancel subscription next to HBO Max.
Streaming and watching your favorite HBO content has been made easy as viewers can use their Roku device/Tv to access the platform. HBO Max is a bit pricey, but users have access to unlimited, exclusive, and prominent content.