Hanging your TV on the wall is one of the best ways to beautify your sitting room. It creates more space in your sitting room for you to enjoy. But can you achieve this without a stud?
This question always comes to mind, especially if you don’t like the idea of ruining your walls with unnecessary holes or your apartment just doesn’t allow it. Can you mount a TV on the wall without studs? Well, the answer is yes!.
A stud is a vertical framing member which forms part of a wall. They are made of timber and have similar components to a frame. Let’s check out the different ways to mount a TV on the wall without studs.
How To Mount A TV Using Toggle Anchors
They come in different sizes and can be used for various purposes. Anchors will keep the screw attached to the mount properly without damaging your wall.
The toggle part, which has a butterfly toggle at the end, prevents the TV from loosening up no matter the force placed on it. Want to give toggle anchors a try? Here is a step-by-step guide to how to mount a TV with a toggle anchor.
- First of all, find out the weight of your TV. You can learn this by reading the TV manual or looking it up online.
- Once you have done that, choose a toggle anchor that fits the size and weight of your TV. Also, choose the right spot to mount your TV.
- Mark out the points the anchor will be placed on by placing the anchor on the wall.
- Cut the plywood into the shape of your TV, check if its viewing level is okay, and place the plywood on the wall with toggles and drill into the wall.
- Replace the toggles with screws and tighten the screws to the plywood and wall.
- Fix the TV bracket to the plywood with the screw that fits the size you purchased.
- Get someone to help you carry the TV as you place it on the bracket.
- Tighten the screws and check if the mount is firm enough.
- Finally, hide all the cords in a rubber gasket or at the back of the hanging television. This is to make your room neat.
What Are The Other Ways To Mount A TV On The Wall Without Studs
Is a toggle anchor not working for you? Here are other sure ways of mounting a TV on the wall without studs.
1. Molly Bolts
Molly bolts can carry the weight of your TV comfortably. Their installation is, however, complicated, but they can be your next best option asides from toggle anchors. Most people usually go for pointed molly bolts because they’re easier to install.
2. A Mounting Plate
Mounting plates help carry the weight of your TV with ease and also allows you to add more anchors to build a more firm and strong mount. Mounting plates are generally made from metals, although they can be made with plywood.
You may, however, not like the fact that mounting plates don’t add aesthetics to your home. Either you buy a smaller mounting plate to hide it with your TV, or you buy the one that has the exact color of your wall.
3. Mounting your TV Through the Ceiling
Though not easy to achieve, it is possible. You can mount your TV without studs by trying this out. Most ceilings have joists that look like studs. Mounting your TV through the roof will require longer screws to reach the beams at the top. However, it depends on the weight of your TV and the height of your ceiling.
So you see, you have nothing to worry about when it comes to mounting your TV without studs. These alternatives will serve you well.
However, you must be careful not to place a heavy TV on a small mount as there is a good chance it will fall off. Also, get a technical professional to work with you if need to, and you’ll be just fine.