While watching movies from a phone might seem seamless with a larger display, nothing beats seeing your favourite film from a TV screen. If you want to enjoy a big-screen experience, you can connect your phone to a TV through various connection methods like HDMI, screencasting, etc.
Watching movies from phone to TV with HDMI seems tedious as you would have to ensure that the HDMI cord is well connected. This is time-consuming for many. So, many users are seeking alternatives to HDMI. This article reveals how to watch movies from phone to TV without HDMI.
How to Connect Phone to TV Wirelessly
1. How to connect phone to TV through screencast
Screencast is screen capturing or digital video recording of the actions on a computer screen, including the audio narrations, graphics, or animations. Though screencast is often used for instructional videos and multimedia files, it works for watching movies.
Unlike screenshots that capture a computer screen simultaneously, screencasts record motions for an extended period. As it records audio, screencasts can be relayed on video-sharing platforms like YouTube and other media networks.
This connection method works best with Smart TVs. To watch movies from phone to TV using the screencast method, do the following:
- Ensure your phone and television are connected to the same network.
- Select Screen Mirroring from the menu list displayed on the TV.
- Navigate to Settings on your phone.
- Select Wireless Display or Screen mirroring depending on your device. (You can use your phone search bar to find its location)
- Choose your TV from the list of devices shown to be connected to the network.
- Select the movie to watch and see it displayed on your TV screen.
2. How to connect your phone to TV using Miracast
If you want a smart TV experience, you should opt for this connection method. With Miracast, you can convert your standard TV to a smart TV. Miracast allows the casting of content on your Android phones or Windows devices to your TV screen.
Most modern TVs feature this new technology. For TVs without Miracast, you’ll need to purchase a Miracast dongle. A Miracast dongle is a broadband connection to a Wifi antenna or compatible with Android devices. Below are steps to follow for connection.
- Connect the Miracast dongle into the HDMI port in the TV, then plug it into a power source using a USB charger.
- Ensure the dongle and phone are connected to the same network.
- Go to Settings on your phone, scroll down and select Display.
- Then, select Wireless Display. This will turn on the wireless network and initiate a search for devices on the network.
- Scroll through the list of devices and select the name of your Miracast dongle to connect.
Screen sharing is activated, and you can now watch your favourite movie on the TV.
To find out if your TV is compatible with Miracast, go to the menu on your TV screen and select Settings, then Inputs.
Under the Inputs option, you’ll see a drop-down menu displaying Miracast, Screencasting, and Airplay options. If your TV does not support casting, you won’t see those options.
3. Connecting your phone to your TV with Chromecast
Chromecast is a Google dongle device connected to the TV to support the casting of videos, images, and multimedia files.
While the dongle is a Google product, it’s compatible with iOS. Ensure you download the Google Home App on your device. Here’s how to connect your phone to TV using Chromecast.
- Plug the Chromecast device into your TV’s HDMI port.
- Navigate to Settings on your television and ensure both devices (TV and Chromecast) are connected to the same network.
- Access the Google Home App.
- Select Chromecast device from the list of available devices.
- Choose the “Cast My Screen” option.
- Once selected, select and start playing the movie on your phone.
- The movie will be mirrored on the television.
- To stop the connection, select the “Stop Mirroring” option.
Now you know how to connect your phone to your TV wirelessly. Save yourself the hassle of plugging an HDMI cord into your device by using different connection methods such as Chromecast, Screencast, and Miracast. Happy TV viewing experience!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can I connect my phone to a TV with USB?
Yes, you can. You can connect your phone to your TV using a micro USB cable. This cable enables you to cast content saved on your mobile device to TV. After connecting the phone to TV, go to settings and select File transfer from the options. Access the TV’s media player app. Select Media. Then, select Photo, Music, or Video.
How do I connect my phone to my non-smart TV without HDMI?
You can connect your phone to non-smart TV through adapters. If your TV has a VGA port, you can use a USB-C to VGA adapter for connectivity. Note that images transmitted using this adapter aren’t high resolution. Other options include USB-C to HDMI adapter, HDMI to SCART adapter, etc.