The primary purpose of the TiVo remote control is to operate the device itself; however, there’s more you can do with it with proper programming. This article will show you how to program TiVo remote to control your TV.
How to Program TiVo Remote
In this article, I would divide the ways of programming TiVo remotes into two kinds of TVs– those with CEC and those without it.
1. Program TiVo Remote On TV With HDMI-CEC
The introduction and improvement of HDMI technology have given our multimedia devices more possibilities than just transmitting audio/visual signals between one another.
One of the advancements has been the introduction of HDMI-CEC (Customer Electronics Control). HDMI-CEC allows you to use one device in controlling another and is a feature of newer Smart TVs; to program your TiVo remote using HDMI-CEC, follow these steps:
- Switch on the HDMI-CEC setting; you’ll often find it somewhere in the Connection, General, Sound, or Display options. If you’ve looked around the settings on your TV and can’t find HDMI-CEC, then this won’t work for you.
- If your TV supports HDMI-CEC, press the TiVo Central button on your remote.
- Select Menu >> Settings >> Remote >> CableCARD & Devices >> Remote Control Setup.
- From the list shown, select the functions you want to enable.
- From the options, you can choose TV Power, Volume, and Mute, Set TV Input, and if you have a separate audio system, you can activate Set A/V Volume and Mute.
Note: You can also enable the Wake with TiVo button option in the Remote Control Setup menu. Enabling the option would make a press of the TiVo button turn on your TV and automatically switch its input to wherever TiVo’s connected.
2. Program TiVo Remote On TV Without HDMI-CEC
If your TV doesn’t support HDMI-CEC and you want to program your TiVo remote to control it, there’s still a way around that.
Also, it’s important to note that the HDMI-CEC method only works for owners of newer versions of a TiVo device like TiVo 4K Stream; if you have an older DVR, it might not work.
We would look at two categories of TiVo devices: TiVo 4K Stream and other models with a similar setup, e.g., TiVo Mini Lux and TiVo Edge.
How to Program TiVo 4K Stream Remote
To program the TiVo 4K Stream remote to control your TV without HDMI-CEC, follow the steps below:
- On your TiVo remote, hold the TiVo and power buttons simultaneously for 3 seconds; your remote indicator would become red and static.
- Press 0999 on your remote; the indicator should blink a couple of times and remain on again.
- Slowly press the Ch up arrow button until the TV powers off. What this process does is that it’s checking for the remote control code of your TV.
- Once the TV powers off, it means the remote has detected a code that matches your TV; press the OK button to lock in the code.
To globally reset your remote and clear all configurations on the remote, do the following:
- Press the TiVo and power buttons simultaneously for 3 seconds.
- Press the volume down button three times.
- Press the TiVo button; then, you will see the indicator light give a couple of blinks.
- You have successfully cleared all saved configurations and would need to pair your remote again to the TiVo 4K Stream itself.
Related: What is an HDTV Cable?
How To Program Other TiVo Models Remote
- Cover the Infrared Sensor at the top of the remote control with your hand and press the Clear and TV buttons simultaneously for 3 seconds.
- When you notice the indicator blinks twice, press the number 0999 on your remote.
- Press the Channel up button on the remote slowly until the remote detects the remote code of your TV; when it does, the TV will go off.
- Next, press the OK button on the remote to lock in the code.
- Press and hold the power button to turn the TV back on.