Like other earbuds, AirPods are known for their powerful sound bass and quality, but they could get quiet at times. This isn’t much of an issue and can be resolved in a few minutes.
Why are My AirPods so Quiet?
This article will show you how to fix AirPod sound issues and the possible causes. Read on.
1. Dirt or Wax in AirPods
Even though AirPods are sweat and water-resistant, they are not sweat or water-proof, meaning that sweat and water can get into them and disturb the speaker. When this happens, the sound output quality decreases, thus the low sound you hear.
A good habit is to clean your AirPods regularly so you do not have to worry about earwax blocking the AirPod speakers.
To clean AirPods, use a dry and soft toothbrush to remove dirt and wax from the speaker mesh. Avoid using wet clothes or sharp objects to clean the AirPod speaker.
Your AirPods should sound better after you’re done cleaning. If the problem persists, try the next fix.
2. Your iPhone is on Low Power Mode
While low power mode will allow your device to last longer, it may restrict some functions on your iPhone and your AirPods too. This may be the reason for the quiet sound your AirPods produces.
Try putting off low power mode on your iPhone and recheck the sounds. To do this;
- Visit the Settings app on your iOS device.
- Tap the Battery option.
- Turn off low power mode.
3. Your AirPods Are not Charged or have a Low Battery
If AirPods are low or uncharged, they may give out low sounds. Place the pods in their case and charge for a few hours, then recheck the sound.
4. Volume Limit on Your iPhone
iPhone usually provides users with a volume limit to protect the ears against very high and harmful decibels. This could be the reason why your AirPods don’t give as much sound.
If you aren’t comfortable with the default setting, turn off the volume limit in your phone’s settings.
To do this;
- Open Settings.
- Locate and tap on music. Tap on Volume Limit under the playback menu.
- Disable the volume limit to increase the volume on your AirPods.
If this setting is not present on your iPhone version, try the following steps;
- Tap on Sound and Haptics in your settings app
- Turn on Reduce Loud sounds and drag the slider to choose the maximum decibel level for headphone audio.
- Put your AirPods back in your ears and see if the problem is gone.
5. iPhone Configuration
Your AirPods will give low sounds if you have configured your iPhone to play earbuds at different levels. Your wireless devices are supposed to play at the same volume.
To fix this;
- Go to iPhone Settings.
- Select Accessibility.
- Tap the Hearing section and select Audio/Visual.
- Scroll down and check the Mono Audio option; ensure it is disabled.
- Check the left/right slider under Balance” and ensure the button is in the middle. If it’s slid to the right or left, slide it back to the center.
Other AirPod Volume Fixes to Try
Use Volume Buttons
This is usually the first thing to do to solve low AirPod audio problems.
Turn iPhone volume up using the side volume buttons to increase volume manually.
To use Siri to increase AirPod volume, use the following commands;
- Say, “Hey Siri, increase volume.” This will raise the volume by 12%.
If you want Siri to increase the volume by a specific percentage, or to a specific percentage, use commands as;
- “Hey Siri, raise volume by 20%”. This will raise your iPhone’s volume by 20%.
- “Hey Siri, raise volume to 75%”. This will set your phone’s volume to 75%.
Be careful when telling Siri to raise or increase volume to a certain percentage as the volume can get very loud at once.
Calibrate the AirPods With Your iPhone
Your AirPods and iPhone may have different interpretations of what a full volume means; hence, you may need to calibrate the volume.
To do this;
- Put both AirPods in your ears and connect them to your Apple device, then play music.
- Using the volume down button on your iPhone, turn down the iPhone’s volume until it is completely muted.
- Swipe up your iPhone screen to display the Control Centre and disable Bluetooth by tapping the Bluetooth symbol. Leave your AirPods in your ears.
- Close the Control Centre and start playing music again. This time, it should play through your iPhone’s speakers. Again, using your iPhone volume button, turn the volume down till your music is muted.
- Reconnect your AirPods; open the control center again and re-enable Bluetooth. You might need to open the Settings app to do this. Tap “Bluetooth,” and tap “AirPods” to reconnect them.
- Your iPhone and AirPods are now calibrated for volume. Play the music again and adjust the volume as needed.
Turn off the Equalizer
Your music app may be the reason why your AirPods are quiet.
To configure the settings, do the following;
- Start the Settings app.
- Tap Music
- Set the equalizer off.
Restart Your Device
This is a quick fix to resolve smartphone software glitches. AirPod sound problems can occur, especially if they have been running for a very long time without a full reset. You can use this fix and see if the normal sound is restored on your AirPod.
To do this;
- Launch device’s Settings.
- Tap the General option
- Tap Shut Down
- Leave it for a few seconds, then turn your device on again.
Unpair and Repair the AirPods
Too quiet AirPods could also be a result of faulty or corrupted Bluetooth connection settings. In cases like this, the best approach is to rebuild the Bluetooth connection profile.
To do it:
- Put your AirPods in their charging case, and close the lid.
- Wait 30 seconds.
- Open the lid of your charging case.
- Open the Settings app on your iOS device and tap Bluetooth.
- Tap (i) next to the connected AirPods.
- Tap Forget This Device and confirm.
- With the lid open, press and hold the Setup button on the back of the case until the LED light inside the case flashes amber and then white repeatedly.
- Next, reconnect your AirPods; with your AirPods in their charging case and the lid open, place your AirPods close to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
- Use the instructions on your device screen.
After the setup process is completed, test the AirPods and hear if the volume is now loud.
Update the Firmware on AirPods
Quiet AirPods could be an indication that your device needs an update.
To update AirPods firmware;
- Put AirPods in the case.
- Attach the case to a power source.
- Turn on the internet connection on your iOS device.
- Pair the AirPods with your device and keep them at close range with each other.
- Once set up, the AirPods firmware will be automatically downloaded and installed on your iOS device.
As earlier mentioned, AirPod sound issues aren’t so much to worry about. Try the fixes listed here, and your pods will get working perfectly again. If none of these solve your problem, the only next option is to contact the manufacturer; visit any Apple store near you and report the problem.