Roku is one of the most popular streaming devices available in the market. They offer tons of streaming channels to subscribers that make streaming fun, all available on a user-friendly interface.
Every Roku model in the market has an IP address. You can use the IP address on your Roku device for different reasons. And it is vital to know the IP address of your Roku device if you need to fix an error or connect to a new network.
Most people use their remote control to search for their device IP address. Finding the IP address on your Roku device that way is hassle-free. However, there are other ways to go about it, with or without using a remote control.
This article will be recommending five ways to find a Roku IP address with or without a remote.
What is an IP Address?
An IP (Internet Protocol) address is a unique address that classifies a device on a local network. It is a string of numbers allotted to an internet-connected device.
In addition, an IP address is a set of rules governing the format of data you send through a local network or internet. It allows data to be sent between devices on a network. Every IP address contain location information; hence it makes devices accessible for communication.
Generally, IP addresses provide a way of differentiating between different computers, routers, and websites. IP addresses show the geolocation of internet-enabled devices. Some of this information include city, area code, zip code, etc.
What is Roku IP Address?
A Roku IP address is a unique address that every Roku device needs when accessing the Roku router’s web interface to configure it. Some Roku routers have a default IP address of 192.168.1.1.
However, if your device is a newer model, then there are ways to check the IP address of your device.
In addition, you will need a username and password to access the web interface. Most Roku device uses the same default usernames and passwords.
How to find Roku IP Address using a Remote
Using a Roku remote control is the easiest way to find your Roku’s IP address. Below is a guide on how to go about it:
- Power on the Roku device
- On the home screen, use the remote to open the Menu bar
- Use the down button on the remote to navigate to Settings on the menu
- Press OK on the remote button
- Proceed to the Network option on the Submenu
- Press OK on the remote button to go to About
- On the next screen, your IP address will appear on the right side of the screen
- Once you pen down the IP address, use the remote to go back to the home page
With this method, you can view your IP address, network name, status, connection type, signal strength, and many other data.
4 Ways to Find Roku IP Address Without Using a Remote
As mentioned above, there are other ways to check your Roku IP address without using a remote control. Below are four alternative ways to check your Roku IP address.
1. How to Find Roku IP Address using a Mobile App
With the Roku mobile app, you can find the IP Address of your Roku device using these steps below:
- Download and launch the Roku app on your mobile phone
- Connect your Roku device and mobile phone to the same Wi-Fi network
- Click on the Settings icon
- Select the System Info option to get your IP Address and other networking data
2. How to find Roku IP Address using a Web Browser
Using a browser extension, you can find the IP Address of your Roku device. To do this:
- Open a google chrome browser on your computer
- Visit the Remoku extension site
- The Remoku app page will launch on your computer screen
- Click on the Add to Chrome button
- Then tap the Add Extension prompt
- Click on the extension to install
- Once installation is complete
- Press the Settings option
- Then connect your Roku device and mobile phone to the same Wi-Fi network
- Click on the Scan button to get the IP Address of your Roku device.
3. How to Find a Roku IP Address using a Router
This method of finding your IP address via a router is not available on all types of routers.
Although most routers allow you to find out which device your Roku is connected to, others do not. Anyway, it would not hurt to give it a trial.
Below are steps on how to find your Roku IP address with your router:
- On your computer, open a browser
- Navigate to the admin interface on your router
- Sign in to the router
- Navigate to the Status page
- The Roku device should be on this page listed by its hostname
Usually, the IP address is next to the name of the Roku device.
4. How to Find Roku IP Address on Mobile Devices
If the router step does not work for your device, you can use your mobile device to check for your IP address.
Below is how to go about it:
- Connect your mobile device to the same Wi-Fi network as your Roku stick
- Go to setting on your mobile device
- Search for Wi-Fi network and click on it
- The details of your Wi-Fi network will be visible when you click on the Wi-Fi network
- You will find the IP address among the details
- Confirm that the first four digits on your smartphone are the same as your Roku stick
As mentioned above, an IP address is unique to a device. You can use an IP address to connect to a network or troubleshoot your device. However, in some cases, there are default IP addresses.
In addition, only Roku assigns an IP address on a device so you cannot change it. With the steps above, you can quickly get your Roku IP address. Ensure to write down the address somewhere safe, so you don’t have to go through the same process when you need it.