It’s a good idea to use a Roku device to stream your favorite movies on your TV. It has more streaming apps than the majority of other devices. One of the most frustrating aspects of using Roku on television is misplacing your remote control or not having Wifi; a typical case of double trouble.
Let say you lost your remote control and suddenly, your TV got disconnected from the WiFi, what can you do?
How to Connect your Roku Device to Wifi Without a Remote
Wi-Fi is used by nearly all Roku devices to connect to the internet. This normally works perfectly, but if you don’t have the remote and need to connect to a different Wi-Fi network, things might get complicated.
Download the Roku app on your smartphone or tablet to use your Roku device without a remote. Connect the app-enabled device to the same WiFi network as your Roku. On the app, click Devices and tap the remote icon.
For these instructions to work, your Roku device must be linked to the same WiFi network as your smartphone.
- From the Google Play Store or the App Store, download and install the Roku app on your phone.
- Open the app and follow the directions on the screen. If this is your first time using the Roku app, you will be required to accept the terms and conditions as well as complete a brief tutorial.
- Then select Devices from the drop-down menu. This can be found at the bottom of your screen. If you’re using the app for the first time, you’ll need to hit OK to enable it to discover your Roku devices.
- After that, choose your Roku device.
- Then tap on the Remote icon.
- Finally, you can operate your TV with the app’s remote.
How to Use Roku Without WiFi
Although Roku’s basic operation is to stream movies and TV shows via the internet, you can use it without the internet, depending on your preferences.
If you don’t have access to a WiFi network or the internet, you can still watch video on your Roku by using one of the techniques listed below:
1. Download Content From Streaming Apps For Offline Use
Streaming services allow you to watch information online while also downloading it for offline viewing. By selecting a title and pressing the Download button inside the title screen if your Roku device has enough memory, you can download offline material to your device or an external storage device.
2. Download Video on Your Phone and Use Screen Mirroring
On mobile devices, popular streaming services like Netflix and Amazon Prime Video only provide offline content watching. Although these providers do not offer streaming devices with similar capabilities, you can still use them to watch offline material on your Roku.
You may download movies and TV shows from Hulu, and Amazon Prime View, and Netflix on your smartphones instead of streaming them online and then play them later by mirroring your smartphone screen onto your Roku device.
- Choose a title from your phone’s streaming app and hit the Download option to save the material to your phone.
- To link your Roku to your smartphone where you downloaded the offline material, enable screen mirroring.
- After you’ve set up screen mirroring, go to the streaming app and download the selected title, then play it.
- The Roku will now play the downloaded content.
3. Using an SD Card to Store Offline Content
A micro SD card slot is available on some Roku players. A micro SD card can be used to expand the internal memory of a Roku and store extra data from channels and games. However, unlike when using a USB storage device, you cannot immediately load movies and TV episodes from the SD card.
This SD card, on the other hand, can be used to save additional data from downloading content. You can do so by formatting a micro SD card and plugging it into a compatible Roku player.
Check out how to replace your Roku remote if you still have it but it isn’t working.
Is it possible to connect your Roku to a different Wi-Fi network without having to use the physical Roku remote?
Set up the Roku app on your phone to connect a Roku to Wi-Fi without a remote. You may use your phone as a virtual remote after connecting the Roku app to your Roku device. To achieve this, your Roku must already be linked to a Wi-Fi network. You’ll need an actual remote if you don’t have one.
How can I pair my phone with my TV?
Pair your phone with the TV after installing the companion app.
Ensure that both devices are connected to the same network.
Do you have a Roku device that doesn’t have a remote or a WiFi connection?
If so, did the strategies listed above help you in getting the most out of your Roku player? Did you find an alternative solution?
Please let others know in the comments section below.