Whether you’ve just moved and need to choose a cable and Internet provider or have already signed up with Spectrum Cable and Internet, getting your service set up is a significant priority. The Spectrum TV setup is easy, and you can do it yourself without stress.
Allow us to lead you through the self-installation process for Spectrum Cable and the Internet and the best way to get the most out of your services. Learn how to set up WiFi, use the Spectrum Self-Install Kit, and decide whether to rent or buy equipment.
Installing Cable TV & Internet
It’s never been easier to have your Cable TV and Internet services set up, and Spectrum provides a wealth of material, including support and videos, to guide you through the process.
Traditionally, a technician would come to your home to set up your services. Many consumers, however, are opting for self-installation because of COVID-19 and safety considerations.
If you’re unsure whether to self-install or call in the specialists, examine the pros and disadvantages listed below:
Advantages of self-installation include:
- Connecting your Spectrum Internet has become easier than ever with the Spectrum Self-Install Kit.
- After you’ve signed up for Spectrum services, you’ll get a Self-Install Kit in the mail.
- The package includes all the equipment and cables you’ll need to start your Internet subscription and surf the web.
When you receive your equipment, set your communication preferences to receive confirmation and tracking number(s), the following items are included in the kit: The Self-Install Cable TV kit includes the following items:
- Watch this simple video to learn how to install it.
- In three simple steps, you can set up the Spectrum Self-Install Kit.
- Connect the modem to the computer or the wireless router.
- Online Modem Activation: You can self-install your cable service by obtaining equipment and following the installation process, similar to the Spectrum Self-Install Internet Kit.
Step by Step Spectrum TV Setup
- Connect the modem to one end of the coax cable and the cable outlet to the other.
- Connect the power wire to your modem and the electrical outlet on the other end.
- Wait for the modem to establish a network connection. When the “online status” light is solid, it indicates that the device is online.
Connect Modem to WiFi or Computer
- After setting up your modem, connect the ethernet cord from your modem to your computer.
- Plug the opposite end of the ethernet cable to your router if you’re using WiFi.
Activate Modem Online
- Now you can turn on your modem. From your computer or mobile phone’s browser, go to https://spectrum.net/selfinstall.
- Follow the on-screen instructions after clicking ‘get started.’
- Don’t forget to create a username and password and maintain your account on spectrum.net.
How to Install Spectrum TV Cable
Connect your Spectrum Receiver
- The first step in Spectrum TV setup is to connect one end of your coax cable to the cable outlet to the end of your receiver.
- Attach one end of the HDMI cable to your TV and the other to your receiver.
- Connect the receiver to the electrical outlet with the Power Cord. The receiver will automatically turn on.
- Replace the batteries in your remote.
- Turn on your TV and choose an HDMI source by pressing the INPUT or SOURCE buttons on the remote.
- It will download a firmware update to the receiver.
What if my TV doesn’t have an HDMI port?
HDMI connections have been standard in TVs for almost two decades, so if your current TV doesn’t have one, you have a good reason to upgrade (this link and the next ones are paid links; because CableTV.com is an Amazon associate, we may receive a commission if you purchase through our links).
Buying a new TV is a superb option because HDMI provides the best picture quality, and the quality of your Spectrum TV service will be outstanding.
If you don’t want to upgrade, look for component ports on your Spectrum receiver. A component cable may be in your wire drawer, or you can order one from Amazon.
How to Self-Install Spectrum WiFi
Connect a Device to your Wireless Router
- On the back of your Spectrum Router, look for your Spectrum WiFi network name (SSID) and password.
- Open your device’s WiFi settings (computer, phone, etc.) and decide whether to use a 5 GHz or 2.4 GHz network.
- Enter the router’s default password, which you may find on the back of the router.
Change your WiFi Name and Password.
- Change your WiFi name and password by finding your unique router model here and following the instructions.
- To identify each network, add 5 GHz and 2.5 GHz to the end of your new WiFi name.
Optimize your WiFi Network
- Keep your router away from water, metal, and other appliances in a central spot to get an optimal connection and service delivery.
- In your Spectrum account, you can see your WiFi name and password.
Finishing up the Spectrum TV setup
- Remove the battery cover on the back of the remote and replace the two batteries that came with your package as the final physical step in installing your Spectrum TV subscription.
- It’s now time to turn on your TV and receiver. Select your receiver’s HDMI input or source using your remote or TV buttons. (If you’re using the component port, select that instead.
- You might see a firmware update screen, which is ideal, and it indicates that your receiver is upgrading to provide you with the most satisfactory service possible.
How to activate Spectrum TV
Go to Spectrum’s activation page and answer the questions there to verify your account before you can start watching programming. You’ll see a welcome screen on your TV once it processes that information.
The Spectrum TV guide will put you through the ins and outs of how it works when you click through the welcome screen. If you can’t get past the welcome screen, you’ll need to program your remote and then follow the instructions in the box below.
You’re almost ready to enjoy your new Spectrum TV subscription once you’ve done scrolling through the Spectrum TV guide’s intro. Because full Spectrum activation can take up to 20 minutes, some channels may not operate immediately.
How to set up the Spectrum TV App
The Android Spectrum TV app has a unique feature that allows you to use Spectrum services for free. The Spectrum TV app allows users to view more than 250 live TV channels and over 30,000 On-Demand movies and TV series on their devices for free. Users can also watch live channels and On Demand titles while traveling if they have access to the internet.
Requirements to use the Spectrum App
- You’ll need a Spectrum login and password to access the Spectrum TV app.
- Create a username and password at “www.spectrum.net/login” if you don’t already have one.
- WiFi or a mobile data network is required (data charges may apply).
- Android 5.0 (Lollipop) or higher is required.
To Download the Spectrum TV App
On smartphones and tablets: Go to the Google Play Store or App Store on your device to download and use the Spectrum app.
Go to the Amazon App Store and download the Spectrum app on Amazon devices.
Apple TV and Roku: Go to the search function, type in “Spectrum TV,” and add it to your channel list.
- It has up-to-date information.
- It also lets you watch local networks.
- You can access your DVR remotely to watch recorded shows.
- You can also install the app on your Smart TV to avoid paying for cable.
- When there are no TVs accessible, you can use the app to watch on your smartphone or tablet.
- To watch specific channels, you must have Spectrum home WiFi turned on.
- You will not be able to utilize this software by connecting to a VPN network.
- You must re-watch commercials to return to your pause point if you exit the app.
- Commercials are an On-Demand function.