Screen mirroring is a technology that enables you to display your computer, phone (Android and iOS), or tablet screen onto another device that has a more prominent display for better viewing.
Perhaps because it’s a new technology, most people forget to turn off screen mirroring during their previous TV casting sessions, only to be embarrassed during a business presentation.
Screen mirroring can be tricky most times, even to the extent of activating itself and putting your privacy at risk.
This guide will reveal the easy procedures to turn Off Screen Mirroring for Android, iOS, Windows and Chromebook devices.
How To Turn Off Screen Mirroring for Android Devices
Casting your Android’s screen to supported devices on the same network as your Android is easy, and so is turning it off.
Most phones have the Screen Cast option as a quick toggle in the notification bar.
If your phone doesn’t have the direct screencast option in the notification panel, you can still turn it on.
- Go to the settings menu on your android device.
- Search for ‘screencast’ on the search bar
- When the cast option is displayed, please select any devices previously connected to disconnect them, and turn off screen casting temporarily.
An alternative method to turn off screen mirroring in android devices is using the Google Home app.
- Ensure your android phone and the screen to cast onto are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Open Google home and view the list of connected devices
- Tap on any device you wish to disconnect, and it will temporarily turn off screen mirroring for that device.
How To Turn Off Screen Mirroring for iOS Devices
Your iOS devices have Airplay, the alternative of screencast in android devices.
This enables you to stream or mirror your phone’s screen to other devices.
Turning off Airplay on iOS devices is the easy way to stop it from mirroring your screen.
You can apply these precautions to ensure your privacy is secured during screen mirroring sessions.
If you plan to use screen mirroring soon;
- Open Control Center.
- For iOS 12 and above, swipe down from the upper-right corner.
- You can swipe up on your home screen for older version iOS devices (iOS 11 and below).
- Find and click on the Airplay option.
- Then choose the device you want to disconnect and Stop AirPlay.
If you do not intend to use screen mirroring for a long time, you can disable it from your settings with these simple steps;
- Go to your phone’s settings menu and tap on ‘general.’
- Select ‘Airplay & Handoff’ from the drop-down menu
- Choose The first option Airplay to TVs Automatically
- Select ‘Never’ to stop Airplay permanently.
How To Turn Off Screen Mirroring On a MacBook
Your MacBook probably serves a dual role for official and personal uses.
We highly recommend turning off screen mirroring before beginning any official business.
You can turn off screen mirroring on your MacBook by following these steps;
- Go to the Apple menu bar and open ‘System Preferences.’ Click on ‘Displays.’
- Go to the drop-down menu and view the connected device name on the Airplay Display menu. Click on it and select ‘Off.’
You also can turn off Airplay directly from your home screen.
- Please search for the Airplay logo on the header menu bar on the top-right corner of your screen. It looks like a rectangle with a triangle at the bottom.
- Click on it and view your connected devices.
- Select ‘Turn Airplay Off.’
How To Turn Off Screen Mirroring on Windows Devices
On your Windows Device, you’ll notice screen mirroring is referred to as ‘Projecting to this PC.’ If you plan to disable this feature after use, all you need to do is turn it off.
Follow these steps to turn off screen Mirroring on your Windows device;
- Go to Settings > System Settings.
- On the left column, scroll down to find ‘Projecting to this PC’ setting.
- Go to Some Windows and Android devices can project to this PC and click ‘OK.’
- From the list of options, select Always Off to turn off screen mirroring.
- To prevent future projecting, go to ‘Ask to project to this PC’ and click on ‘every time.’
- You can further secure your privacy by enabling ‘Require PIN for pairing’ option and choosing ‘always.’
How To Turn Off Screen Mirroring on Chromebook
Turning off screen mirroring on Chromebook has two options.
- Turning off the Screen mirroring on Your Chromebook
- Turning off the Screen Mirroring on All Devices
Turning off screen mirroring on Chromebook
- Open Settings from the app launcher and head to device> Displays at the left panel.
- Select ‘Sleep when cover is closed.
Turning off screen mirroring on All devices
- Head to settings > device > displays.
- Uncheck ‘Mirror Built-in display.’
- This disables screen mirroring on your Chromebook altogether.
How to Turn Off Screen Mirroring on TV
There are different ways to Turn Off Screen Mirroring, depending on the TV brands and models available in the market.
Most times, it’s easy to turn it off from the settings. However, let’s look at quickly turning off screen Mirroring for some popular TV brands.
How to turn off screen mirroring on a Samsung TV
- Check for the Samsung SmartThings app on your phone. You can download the latest version from the play store
- Open the SmartThings app and select the ‘Smartview’ option from the quick links panel on your homepage.
- A pop-up option showing all your connected devices will appear. Slide the toggle to turn off screen mirroring.
How to Turn off screen mirroring For Sony Smart TVs
- Open the home screen of your Sony Smart TV and tap on ‘APPS.’
- Search for the Screen Mirroring tab and choose ‘disable.’
For Sony smartphones,
- Go to the settings menu and select ‘device connection.’
- Tap on the Screen Mirroring option. The connected device will show up here.
- At the bottom-right corner, tap on the ‘Disconnect’ button.
While the screen mirroring option is a welcome development in mobile display screen enlargement, it poses an excellent privacy risk when not well turned off.
Ensure you’ve applied the suitable precautions to avoid accidentally casting your private video collections in front of your competition during a business pitch.
Why is my screen mirroring not working?
There are several possible reasons for this. You should troubleshoot your device screen mirroring settings.
Restart your smartphone and remove any physical obstruction. Also, disable Bluetooth, and ensure your PC drivers are up-to-date.
Is screen Mirroring safe?
Screen mirroring poses security issues such as Unauthorized network access, possible privacy access and inadequate tech support. However, your screencasting experience should be fantastic altogether with the proper precautions in place.
How can I improve screen mirroring quality?
Adjust the aspect ratio on your phone or tablet. 16:9 aspect ratio is best for wide screens.
Why is Casting Lagging on Chromecast?
You may experience lagging as screencasting mainly relies on your wireless network for streaming videos.
Slow or weak internet speeds can be a significant issue, especially if you’re on a local home network.
However, you can improve this by Switching to a 5GHz Connection (2nd Gen and Up Only). You can also change your device’s Video Playback Quality. Try Restarting your network Router and Chromecast.