When your Vizio tv suddenly stops displaying content on its screen, you might think the TV has tripped off. However, when you discover that there is still a shining light in the dark screen, you should know your screen has displayed a black screen of death.
A fault in one of the power supply boards can cause the black screen of death on your Vizio tv. Most Vizio TV is built with multiple power supply boards besides the T-Con board. When there is a problem with any of the power boards, it could trigger the television to trip off.
This may seem like a problem that requires the service of an expert. It would interest you to know that you can fix some of the problems with little effort. The first thing to do is ascertain which part of the Vizio television has developed a fault. To check which part of the television is faulty, you can verify using these three test methods.
Vizio TV Black Screen of Death Testing
Test The Sound
You should test the sound to know if the television is making an unpleasant sound. Please turn on the television and increase the volume to listen to its sound output. To make things easy, you can try streaming a video that has excellent sound dexterity.
Try The Flashlight
If your Vizio television produces sound but does not project images, that means the part that makes lighting is faulty. To ascertain the cause of the problem, you can do the flashlight test. This method requires that you shine a light on the television.
Get a flashlight and ensure that it has enough power. Stand about two inches away from the television screen, switch on the flashlight, and point it directly on the TV. If you can see an image after shining a light on the television screen, that means the inverter board in your television is faulty.
Check the Connections and Power
The last test you should conduct is the connection and power test. This will help you ascertain if every component of the television is working correctly. Check if all the connections are intact. After this, reset the TV.
How Fix Vizio TV Black Screen of Death
If you have tried all the test methods listed above, you should detect a fault on the television. Repairing this fault is not a difficult task. Find simple steps below to fix the black screen of death on your Vizio television.
1. Change The Power Board
When it comes to replacing the power board of the television, you must be very careful. This is a pretty complicated task to complete. The method you will adopt to change it differs depending on the type of Vizio television you use.
Also, the model number of the board varies from television to television. Nevertheless, this is not to say it is too difficult to fix, even for the most subtle technical savvy. However, it is best you consult an expert technician as electrical components can be very dangerous.
Things You Will Need
- You will need a soft cloth or towel to protect the television screen.
- Get a Philips-head screwdriver. The size of the screwdriver depends on the size of the television.
- Station a container to keep all the screws that are removed.
- Get a container to place all the removed screws.
- Place the television face flat on a smooth surface.
- Use the screwdriver to remove all screws at the rear.
- Locate all the fuses on the television. In most cases, the television has five fuses.
- Find out if any of the fuses have blown. If you find any, change it immediately.
- Sometimes, a spoilt fuss could be the cause of the problem.
- Find all the wires that are connected to the power board.
- Once you find them, remove all. Use the screwdriver to remove all the screws on the power board.
- Remove the old power board from its domain, replace it with the new one and use the screwdriver to bolt it down.
- Please take all the removed wires and reconnect them to the spot where you removed them.
- Change the front cover of the television. After this, plug in the television again and test if it is in perfect working condition.
Replacing Other Components
Sometimes you might need to change other components like the inverter board or any other parts. If you need to replace the inverter board, you can use almost the same methods as the power board.
However, if you are skeptical about your ability to replace it without complicating issues further, you should contact a professional. Be sure to contact Vizio Technical Support if your television is still in warranty.