I know, firsthand, how frustrating it can be when your Xfinity remote control stops working properly. It makes it difficult to navigate your TV and streaming services without a functioning remote. But don’t worry, there are steps you can take to resolve the functionality issues with your Xfinity remote control.
In this guide, I will walk you through some troubleshooting tips and solutions to help you get your remote back in working order. Whether it’s a simple fix like replacing batteries or a more complex issue, I’ll provide you with the information you need to get your remote back to normal. Let’s get started!
Xfinity Voice Remote Not Working
Xfinity won so many hearts with the launch of their voice remote series (XR15, XR16, and XR11 models).
One can configure an Xfinity remote to control the TV Box, audio output, and the TV. The Xfinity Voice remote, however, can do so much more.
- Point in any direction without issues
- Turn your TV and TV box on/off
- The buttons of the Xfinity remote are backlit and quite fancy.
With the increasing demand for Xfinity voice came unprecedented complexity in its use and setup.
There’s been an outcry, from new and existing customers, about the difficulties encountered while using the voice remote.
Here we’ll give you the most recent and concise information about the causes of the Xfinity remote not working and how to fix it.
So let’s dive into it.
Causes of Xfinity Remote not Working
There are seven main reasons your Xfinity remote is not working:
- Issues relating to your Xfinity remote itself.
- An issue relating to your TV box
- Paring/Connection issues between the Xfinity remote and the TV box.
- Your Xfinity remote may not be responding, after several attempts, because of a physical damage.
- It’s also possible there are issues with the batteries, such as weak batteries or wrongly-placed batteries.
- Also, your Xfinity X1 TV Box or Xfinity 4k streaming box might have developed faults or the power cable is not fixed appropriately. There could be a covering or obstruction between the voice remote and the TV box, or it simply requires a factory reset.
- Lastly, your voice remote may not be working because it is not paired to the TV box.
How to fix Xfinity remote not working errors
- Check to make sure the remote isn’t damaged or defective in any way. If it is, then you need a replacement.
- Also, be sure about the health of the batteries. They should be fully charged and appropriately placed, noting the proper position for the positive and negative terminals.
- Reset and resync your Xfinity remote
How do I Identify Weak/dead Batteries in my Xfinity Remote?
- When you punch any button on the remote, did you notice any LED light blinking at the top?
If there was no light at all, then your remote or batteries are faulty/dead.
If you observed LED red light blinking multiple times, the remote is functional, but the batteries aren’t.
Green LED light tells you your remote and batteries are in good condition.
- It would help if you also did a thorough sweep of your connections. Ensure the cables to the TV, TV box, and audio outputs are rightly and firmly intact. You should equally check the remote and TV box sensors to ensure they’re clean enough.
Before taking the more complex steps, these are the simple, easy, yet critical things to deal with first.
How to reset the Xfinity Remote with Setup Button
- Press and hold the ‘setup’ button until you see the green LED indicator.
- Input the code ‘9,8,1’ and observe if the green indicator blinked again, twice.
That’s the confirmation. After resetting, you have to pair the remote to the TV box all over again.
How to Pair your Xfinity Remote With Xfinity TV Box using Set-up Button (XR2, XR5 and XR11)
Now’s the time to find out what model your remote is. (XR11, XR15 and XR16 have voice prompts). Open the battery cover and look behind the remote, you’ll the model printed.
There’s a chance your TV Box is not responding to your remote because there’s a pairing error. In this case, you’ll need to pair them again following the steps below:
- With your remote facing the TV box, press ‘setup’ and hold until the blinking red LED light becomes green.
- Next, press the ‘Xfinity‘ button repeatedly until a 3-digit code appears with instructions on your TV screen. Follow the instruction to complete the pairing.
How to pair Xfinity Voice remote without ‘Setup’ Button (XR15)
- Find the Xfinity and info buttons. Hold both simultaneously for some seconds until the pairing code and instructions appear on your TV screen; then follow the instructions.
- To activate the voice prompt, control TV power and volume, hold ‘Xfinity’ and ‘mute’ buttons for seconds until the LED indicator becomes green, and follow the instructions.
How to pair Xfinity Voice Remote (XR16)
- Pull up the back lid on the remote to get it activated.
- Press the ‘microphone’ button and follow the instructions.
What if I can’t seem to pair the Xfinity remote with the TV box successfully?
Then it would help if you considered resetting your remote, following the steps below:
How to Reset Xfinity Remote without the ‘Setup’ Button
- Locate the ‘D’ and ‘A’ buttons on the remote.
- Press and hold both together until the green indicator blinks.
- Dial ‘9,8,1’ and observe the green indicator again as confirmation.
- Next, pair the box to the remote after successfully resetting it.
How to reset the Xfinity TV Box
Find the reset button on the box and press it.
Please note that the green indicator LED turning red means bad/no connection with the TV box. Also, the red indicator LED turning green means a good connection with the TV box.
Causes and Fixes for Xfinity Volume not Working
Several factors may be responsible for this error.
- Connection faults
A little slip of a positive/negative connection terminal can result in sound loss.
Troubleshooting all connections might reveal where the error lies.
- Ensure both TV and TV Box volumes are not at minimum or mute.
- Check the sound settings for the TV, TV box and other peripheral gadgets and make sure they’re at optimum level.
- It would be best if you attempted to restart the TV. If it doesn’t work, you may perform a factory reset for all appliances.
- Make sure your gadgets are all updated.
- Disconnect all external sound gadgets and observe the TV and TV Box for possible faults.
- If all these possibilities fail to solve the issue, you might need professional help.
Other Helpful Tips out of the Box
My X1 remote volume doesn’t work despite all attempts. I’ve reset and paired, to no avail. The indicator only blinks red twice, although batteries are fully charged. Everything else works except volume.
Solution: You should use the ‘elimination method’ to identify the faulty device. It could be the remote, TV Box or your TV.
Xfinity Volume doesn’t go beyond a certain level
Solution: Most users have identified this as a memory issue for their smart TV.
It would be best to free some memory and restart all devices.
X1 box always displaying ‘remote not working’ error. I’ve fixed batteries and reset them severally. Once it resets, all settings are gone.
Solution: Request a new box. That’s a faulty box.
Remote fails to pair with the box after several attempts.
Solution: go through all procedures we outlined above; if it doesn’t solve the problem, reach out to the customer service agents. It might be an activation issue or a faulty box.
Xfinity Voice control doesn’t work. I’ve done everything highlighted above. It keeps saying ‘something not right; try again later’.
Solution: Unplug the device from the power source and restart.
My Xfinity remote got damaged, some buttons not working.
Solution: Call the service agents, you’ll get a replacement free.
To connect directly with an agent, follow this link.