All LG TVs come with features that allow users to share their screens on the TV easily. This is made possible through a tool called LG Smart Share which allows you to connect your smart devices to the TV.
Ways to do LG TV Screen Share
There are various ways to connect and share your screen on an LG TV, but they all depend on the kind of device you use and the strength of your network connection.
How to Screen Share from Android to LG TV
There are four different ways to share a screen from an Android device to an LG TV:
1. Cables Screen Share
With the use of an HDMI or Micro HDMI cable, you can share your screen with an LG TV. First, you have to ensure that all your devices, both the cable and the TV, support Mobile High Definition Link (MHL) or SlimPort. Once you are sure that they support it, follow these following steps:
- Check the back of your TV to see if the HDMI port has an MHL logo on it. If it’s not there, it means your LG TV does not support it.
- The next step is to check for an alternative. In this case, that will be a SlimPort device and adapter.
- This step is optional, but sometimes, MHL and Slimport cables need a converter that will help convert video from your phone to the LG TV.
- Get an HDMI to MicroUSB cable compatible with MHL and use it to connect your android device to your LG TV.
2. Wi-Fi Screen Share on LG TV
You can use Wi-Fi to share a screen in the following ways:
- Built-in LG phone feature
- LG Screen Share App on Wi-Fi, Wi-Fi-Direct, or WiDi.
- DLNA players
- Miracast or Screen Cast
a. Sharing Through A Built-In LG Phone Feature
If you use an LG phone, you may have noticed some of the innovative content-sharing features it comes with. One of these features happens to be the screen share feature, which is only applicable to android 4.0 and above. Here’s what to do:
- Make sure both your mobile phone and the TV are connected to the same Wi-Fi. Learn 5 ways to connect LG TV to Wi-Fi.
- On your phone, go to settings, click share and connect.
- Check underneath the screen share section, click screen sharing or mirror screen.
b. Sharing Through LG Screen Share App
Using the LG Screen Share App is one of the easiest ways to share a screen with your LG TV. You only have to follow these steps:
- Download the LG Screen Share App on Google Play Store. There is the original one, and different companies have other ones. For the sake of this guide, we’ll be using the original one as an example.
- Make sure that your mobile device and LG TV are on the same Wi-Fi connection.
- In the case where you do not have a wired or wireless connection, use Wi-Fi-direct to connect your devices.
- Activate the LG Screen Share App on your phone or laptop.
- Follow the instructions from the app to connect your LG TV to your device.
c. Sharing Through DLNA Players
DLNA stands for Digital Living Network Alliance. It enables users to enjoy videos, pictures, and music saved on their phones through a private wireless network connection. Here is how to use it to screen share to your LG TV:
- The first thing to do is connect your DLNA certified android device and LG TV to your Wi-Fi network.
- Next, download a DLNA player from Google Play and install the app to share videos, music, and images on your android device.
- Once you’ve done this, you’ll receive a prompt on the app. Follow it and input your TV model, if necessary.
- Play your desired content on your TV.
d. Sharing Through Miracast or Screen Cast
Miracast is similar to DLNA as they are both wireless technologies that allow you to screen share content from your phone, tablet, or tablet to TV. Follow these steps to screen share from Miracast to your LG TV:
- If your android device uses Android 4.2 or higher, you automatically have Miracast, but it may show up as screen sharing, share and connect, or wireless display.
- Your LG Smart TV would automatically have the Miracast receiver feature.
- For any other LG TV that does not come with the feature, you will have to download a third-party Miracast dongle.
- Go to settings, select share, and connect on your mobile phone.
- Select the “share screen” option, and your LG TV should receive the signal.
3. LG Bluetooth Screen Share
Sharing your screen through Bluetooth is easy. All you have to do is download third-party mobile applications on the Google play store. At the same time, it is not highly recommended to use Bluetooth because it has the potential to reduce the sound and screen resolution quality of your videos and pictures.
4. USB Screen Share
One thing to note is, not all USB devices work with this unit. With share screen from a USB device:
- Click on Home.
- Select smart share and click on wheel or enter.
- Choose the linked device in the category.
- Select photo, movie, or music.
- Select a file of your choice and press play for wheel or enter.
If you’re an iOS user, there are three major ways to screen share your device with an LG TV:
- Third-party apps
LG Screen Sharing Through Chromecast
Created by Google, Chromecast is a wireless technology that can be used to watch videos from your iPhone on any LG Smart TV.
- Ensure the Chromecast dongle is connected to the TV, and then download the Google Home Companion application to connect your device to your wireless network.
- After installing, the Chromecast icon will show up in the list of supported apps.
- Click on the icon and select LG TV.
LG Screen Sharing Through AirPlay
iPhone users know that AirPlay can only be used from a Mac device to another Mac device, but some people still aren’t aware that the Apple TV app is installed on most LG Smart TVs produced from 2018 and above.
Through the Apple TV App, users can share their screens from any of their Airplay-supported devices to a compatible LG Smart TV. The good news is, some LG devices offer AirPlay 2 as well, such as LG OLED (2019), LG NanoCell SM8X series (2019), and LG UHD UM7X series (2019).
Here’s how to share screen from your iOS to your LG TV through AirPlay:
- Connect both your iOS and LG TV to the same wireless network.
- iPhone or Macbook, access the control center by swiping up from the bottom of your screen.
- Click on AirPlay.
- Tap the name of the device you want to screen share with.
That’s all. Originally, your LG TV will show your desired content using the ratio and orientation of your iOS device. If you prefer it to fill your screen, you need to adjust it from the TV settings.
Using Third-Party Apps to Screen Share to LG TV
There are a lot of mobile applications on Apple’s App Store that you can use to share screen from your phone to your LG TV. They use the DLNA rendering technology, and they can detect any TV that happens to be available at the time.
Screen share to LG using Laptop or PC
Thanks to the LG Smart Share Software, it is very simple and easy to share screen from your laptop or PC to your LG TV. Screen sharing is a built-in feature in Windows 8.1 and above. Follow these steps to share screen from your laptop or PC to your LG Smart TV:
1. LG TV Sharing Via Smart Share
Even though Smart share is already installed on your LG Smart TV, it needs a different software to share files with. This counterpart can come in the form of an app specifically designed for laptops and other computers.
2. LG TV Sharing Via Mac
a. First, ensure that your computer and model of LG TV supports Airplay 2.
b. Tap on the AirPlay icon. It is located on the right-hand side of your computer’s menu bar.
c. Select Apple TV from the list in the dropdown.
If you want to turn off AirPlay, click on the icon and select turn AirPlay off.
What About Linux Users?
Unfortunately, LG has not made a dedicated application for Linux that supports Smart Share, but there are a lot of guides online that can help you set up screen sharing.