Buying a Sony Soundbar is exciting, but trying to connect it to your TV can become an uphill task if you have no idea what to do. Soundbars are amazing audio equipment that can enhance an enjoyable experience within your home theater.
One of the benefits of Soundbars is that they streamline multiple channels of audio into one piece of sound equipment. The only thing you may have to worry about is a source of power for the device.
There are various ways to connect a Soundbar to a TV. Some of them include: using an HDMI cable, Bluetooth. Let’s dive in and see the different methods and steps to follow when connecting Sony Soundbar to TV.
1. How To Connect Sony Soundbar To TV Using HDMI Cable
Setting up your Soundbar is an exciting experience, and I’m pretty sure you want to get it up and running as soon as possible.
If you have an HDMI cable within your reach, see the steps to follow to successfully connect your Sony Soundbar to your TV:
Connect both devices to power and turn them on
Ensure that your TV is already connected to power. One vital step you should not forget during the connection process is connecting the Soundbar to a source of power.
Soundbars come in different makes and models, so you may discover that your Soundbar has a different method of receiving power. However, the most commonly known method of sourcing power to your Soundbar is connecting it with an AC power adapter or something similar.
Even if it is possible to connect it to power through your TV, it is usually not advisable. Just make sure you plug in both devices.
Proceed to turn on both the TV and the Soundbar before establishing the connection with the HDMI cable so that you can easily confirm when any notification pops up.
Locate the HDMI input (ARC) on the TV
After you have connected your Soundbar and TV to power and turned them on, you’ll need to establish the HDMI connection ports on each device, respectively.
It does not matter which device you plug the cable into first, just make sure that the connection on each device is fully established and correctly plugged in.
To locate the HDMI input (ARC) port on the TV, check where the other input and output ports are located. If you already have cables plugged into the RCA ports (generally the red and white input and output connections), check first for the HDMI input port.
The shape of the HDMI cable is easily identifiable, so you should be able to distinguish this by looking at the end of the HDMI cable and then the port on the TV to see if they match.
If you cannot find the HDMI input (ARC) port on your TV, then check the other buttons. If you still can’t find it, consult your TV’s user manual or contact the manufacturer. However, it is important to note that not all TVs use an HDMI cable. If your TV does not have one, you can try the Optical cable method in this article.
Locate the HDMI output (ARC) on the Soundbar
The next step is to locate the HDMI output (ARC) port on the Soundbar. Locating this port will not be too difficult since the number of ports on the Soundbar will be minimal compared to what you might find on your TV. Some soundbars label HDMI.
Once you have found this port, ensure that the Soundbar is plugged into a power source. Then, your Sony Soundbar will be ready to pair with your TV with an HDMI cable.
Plug the HDMI cable into each device
Proceed to plug the cable into each device respectively. It doesn’t matter which one you plugin first. Just ensure that the connection is correct and complete.
In some cases, you have to connect with HDMI and Optical Cables. To do this:
- Connect one end of the HDMI cable to your TV’s HDMI IN port.
- Next, connect the other end to the TV OUT (ARC) port on your sound bar.
- Then, connect an optical audio cable from the TV’s Optical digital audio out to OPTICAL IN on your sound bar.
Adjust the settings on your TV
Depending on your model, it may also be necessary to switch your Sound Bar settings to TV.ou’ll need to adjust the settings on your TV to select the Soundbar as the preferred speaker output. Else, you’ll not notice any difference in the sound quality streaming from your TV, because it will still be using the internal TV speakers as the preferred audio output.
However, some models of Soundbars will automatically become the preferred speaker output once they are plugged in, but this is not always the case.
To adjust the settings, go to the Settings option on your TV and locate the Audio or Speaker selection options. Ensure your Soundbar is set to D.I.N. Then, select the Soundbar as your preferred speaker output.
2. How to Connect Sony Soundbar to TV With WiFi
Since most Soundbars can’t connect to a TV via WiFi, you’ll need to get certain devices. For example, to connect a Sony Soundbar to a TV, you’ll need a TV model made after 2013 and a compatible Sony Soundbar.
The steps to follow to enable the connection include:
- Connect your TV to a WiFi network using the Source button on the soundbar remote or the back of the unit.
- Select the same WiFi network that you are using with the TV.
- Open the Samsung SmartThings app.
- Click on the ‘+’ icon and tap on the device.
- Tap on the AV button and then choose the model of your Soundbar.
- Select ‘start’ and choose your location to make your mobile search for the Soundbar easy.
3. How To Connect Sony Soundbar To TV With Bluetooth
Many new model Soundbars and TVs are best connected via Bluetooth. You can also use Bluetooth plug-ins such as ZIIDOO Bluetooth Transmitter and Receiver, for TVs that don’t have it built-in.
Follow the steps below to successfully connect Soundbar to your TV via Bluetooth:
- Press the Bluetooth or source button on your Soundbar to turn on the Bluetooth.
- Select ‘pair’ on the Soundbar remote to enter the Bluetooth pairing mode.
- Turn on your TV and go to ‘Bluetooth settings’. To see this setting, go to the general settings menu. However, it may depend on your TV model, so check the TV user guide if you can’t find it.
- Select the name of your soundbar and press ‘pair’ to connect and synchronize the devices.
- Press ‘okay’ to confirm the pairing. To confirm if they are paired correctly, check if the name of the TV appears on the display of your Soundbar. You will also be able to hear programs from the TV playing through the soundbar.
4. How to Connect Sony Soundbar To TV With Optical Cable
If your TV is an older model and doesn’t have an HDMI input (ARC) port, the next best cable option is an optical cable.
Optical cables have a sound strength of up to 5.1. Their function is to send signals between devices through laser light and fiber optic cables in an electrical format.
The steps to connect the Soundbar to a TV with an optical cable include:
- Tear off the plastic protectors from both ends of the optical cable.
- Insert the cable in the optical output on your TV.
- Locate the optical input on your soundbar and insert the other end of the optical cable.
- Go to your TV settings and select sound
- Press ‘Audio Out/Optical’.
- Test run the connection by playing a video and seeing if it plays through the soundbar.
You can use an HDMI cable, WiFi, Bluetooth, or optical cable to connect your soundbar to your TV depending on their availability and requirements.
Interestingly, you can control everything with a single remote or even an app on your phone. However, wireless connections are prone to having slow connection speeds. Therefore, there might be some network issues or the connection might drop out.
If this is any concern, then using an HDMI or optical cable can avoid these problems. These wired connections are simple to set up and have rapid speeds and are not prone to network connection problems. They support sound strength of up to 7.1.
There are multiple ways to connect your Sony Soundbar to your TV. All you have to do is carry out an experiment and find out the one that is most suitable for you.