A black screen could indicate a more significant underlying issue, and figuring out the problem is the first step in troubleshooting it.
A problem with the HDMI cable that outputs the display from whatever device you’re using with the TV is one of the most likely causes.
Another issue is that the TV’s backlight might be failing. Most TVs rely on a backlight to illuminate the image, and a problem with the backlight might result in blank panels.
Another possibility is that the TV or the device you’re using with the TV has a software problem.
But don’t worry, this tutorial will show you how to fix any problem with your TV as quickly as possible.
Steps to Reset TCL TV with Black Screen
1. Power Cycle The TV And Remote
The restart is the first step in any troubleshooting procedure, and a power cycle is the type of restart we’re trying in this scenario.
A power cycle entails unplugging or removing the power source, leaving the device off for up to a minute, and then plugging everything back in.
A power cycle can resolve issues that arose due to an unintentional configuration change that caused the TV to go black, whether you made it or it was done automatically.
To power cycle your TCL TV
• Turn off the TV. Wait until all the TV’s status lights have gone out.
• Turn off the TV and wait 1-2 minutes before plugging it back in.
• Restart the TV by plugging it back in.
To restart the remote, follow these steps:
• Take the batteries out of the remote control.
• Take a few minutes to wait.
• Replace the batteries in the device.
Try to recreate what you were doing when the black screen appeared to see if you have resolved the problem. Use the TV as usual, but keep an eye out to see if the black screen reappears.
2. Power Cycle the TV Using an Alternate Method
If the approach mentioned above does not work, there is another way to power cycle the TV.
To begin, you’ll need to obtain a paperclip or something similar. Then:
• Unplug the TV from the wall and turn it off.
• Locate the reset button on the TV’s side. It appears to be a tiny hole into which only a paperclip can fit.
• For at least 30 seconds, press and hold this reset button.
• Turn the TV back on.
Verify that the problem has been resolved.
3. Restart the TV Using the Remote
Only TCL Roku TVs are compatible with this strategy. You can restart the TV by pressing a specific key combination on your remote.
This combination is simple to put together and is described below:
• Press the Home button five times.
• Press the Up button once.
• Press the Rewind button twice.
• Press the Fast forward button twice.
The TV will resume once you have correctly completed the combination. After the restart, use the TV to see if the problem persists.
4. Check the Cable Connections
I previously stated that a loose connection or damaged cables could cause a black screen on any TV. Examine the back of the TV to ensure that all connections are secure.
I’d recommend replacing your HDMI cable if it’s growing old.
Even if you’re still using the TV’s original HDMI cable, investing in a new one from a reputable brand like Belkin is a good choice.
It’s gold-plated, so you can be sure it’ll last a lifetime, and it features fast speeds for a lag-free display.
5. Update Your Firmware (Skip these steps if your screen is still black)
Since moving to the Android ecosystem, TV software has become more frequent, and TCL TV is no exception.
Software updates are constantly fixing major and minor faults, so it’s a good idea to update your TV as well.
A software update for Android TVs upgrades its firmware, making it simple to search for and apply firmware updates.
To update your TCL Android TV
• Navigate to the Settings menu by pressing the Home button on the remote.
• Select More Settings from the Settings menu.
Select Device Preferences >>> About from the drop-down menu.
• Go to System Update.
• From the drop-down menu, choose Network Update.
• If a software update is available, the TV will check and download it.
• When it’s finished, confirm by clicking OK.
6. Tweak Fast Start Option
Some TCL users claim that enabling or disabling the TCL TV’s Fast Start option corrected their black screens.
Enabling it if it was previously disabled or disabling it if you previously enabled it is something worth looking into, and I’ll walk you through the steps below:
Follow these instructions to set up your TCL TV:
• On the Roku TV remote, press the Home button.
• Click System from the drop-down menu under Settings.
• Select Quick TV Start.
• Depending on your needs, enable or disable Fast TV Start.
Check to see if you have resolved the problem by restarting your TV.
7. Factory Reset the TV
Because a factory reset wipes all settings and logged-in accounts from the TV, it should only be the last option.
You’d also have to go through the setup process all over again and reconnect to your WiFi network.
To do a factory reset on your TCL Roku TV, follow these steps:
• Choose your options.
• Find and select System by scrolling down.
• Select Advanced System Settings > Factory Reset from the drop-down menu.
• Choose Factory Reset Everything from the drop-down menu.
• To begin the factory reset, enter the code displayed on the screen.
To restore the TCL Android TV to its factory settings, follow these steps:
• Press the Settings button on the remote from the Home screen.
• Select More Settings > Device Preferences > Reset from the drop-down menu.
• Click the Factory Data Reset option from the drop-down menu.
• Click Erase Everything from the drop-down menu list.
• Enter the PIN shown on the screen and press OK.
How do I reboot my TCL Roku TV with a black screen?
There are various ways to reset Roku TV with a black screen. You can power cycle your TV, check cable connections, tweak first, start or update the firmware.
What happens when you reset a TCL TV?
AFTER A RESET, the TV’s settings are restored; it will wipe the TV clean of all personalized settings and accounts.
How do you fix an HDMI black screen?
Remove the HDMI cord from the TV. Kindly wait 30 seconds before plugging it in again. Most HDMI cable difficulties can be resolved using this method.