If you’ve misplaced your TV remote control, don’t panic. It’s the digital age and options are endless. Discover more creative and fun ways to turn on your TV without a remote control.
Television sets have since become an essential device in a modern home.
Far from their traditional roles of giving firsthand information on various topics, relaxation and entertainment, and gaining knowledge on almost all topics, they’re fast turning into a vital part of any interior home design.
An average home today, worldwide, has a TV set as an important ‘family-time’ entertainment device.
In this article, we’ll take a closer look into the more exciting ways to turn On your TV without using a remote control.
How to turn On your TV without a TV remote
You don’t have to be frustrated the next time the TV remote suddenly disappears or becomes faulty. Try these!
1. Turn on your TV using the TV Power button/joystick
Depending on your TV brand, you can turn your TV On With the power button.
All TV sets come with a power button. It’s funny because many users of newer model TVs don’t even know where the power button is (I just discovered mine, so you’re not alone).
How to locate the Power button on a Samsung HD Smart TV
Your Samsung Smart TV has a power button located at the base section. Depending on which model you have, you’ll find it in the middle, left, or right of the TV.
Some Samsung Smart TVs have a Joystick that functions like a PC mouse, allowing you more direct control of your TV.
Once you find the power button/Joystick, use it to turn on your TV or change the input settings.
How to locate the Power button on LG TV
You’ll find the Power button just under the LG logo. Press it to turn on your LG TV.
Other similar TV brands like Hisense, Toshiba, Sony, TCL, and Vizio have similar configurations.
Locate the power button right at the base of the TV when you scan from right > middle > left.
2. Turn on your TV with Amazon Alexa
Amazon Alexa is a new generation voice recognition technology continually integrated with modern home appliances such as the Amazon Echo dot and Echo Smart speaker.
- Download Alexa app for iOS or android
- Open the app and go to More (at the base of the app display)
- Head to Settings > Tv & Video.
- Choose your streaming service company.
- Hit the + sign to enable
- Next, select your TV make and continue.
- Hit return to finish the setup.
- To pair your TV with Alexa, you must ensure the TV is paired with your mobile device and Alexa, all on the same Wi-Fi network.
- Alexa functions by voice commands. So to turn the TV on, say Alexa turn on Samsung TV (use TV name). Say Alexa go home on FireTV to go back to the home screen if you have a FireTV.
- You can also reduce/increase TV volume by saying Alexa lower/raise volume on LG Smart TV (if that’s your TV name). See more Alexa commands.
3. Turn on Your TV with PS4 or PS5
Oh yeah! Your gaming consoles can now turn on your TV; I guess it’s genuinely an internet of things (IoT).
You can configure your TV with your PS4/5 via the HDMI CEC (High Definition Multimedia Interface Consumer Electronics Control) protocol. The HDMI CEC allows electronic gadgets to control your TV inputs via HDMI connection.
- First, verify that your TV is HDMI CEC compatible. See here for how HDMI CEC is configured on different TV models.
- Once CEC is enabled in your TV, go to the PS4/5 settings (looks like a suitcase) and scroll down to ‘System’.
- Select ‘Enable HDMI device link’, and that’s it.
4. Turn on the TV with Google Home on Chromecast
Google home is another excellent way to turn on your TV, change volume level, change channels, or search for specific shows.
Google Home works like Amazon Alexa, with voice commands. But it would be best if you had a Chromecast, and your TV must support CEC.
- To set up Google Home,
- Download the Google Home app on your mobile device
- Ensure you’ve turned on CEC on your TV
- Go to the Chromecast screen on the TV and open the Google Home app on your mobile device.
- Select ‘+’ at the top left corner to add devices.
- Head to set up a device > new devices.
- Tap on ‘Next’ after Chromecast is captured and confirm the code in your mobile device matches the TV.
- Select agree to finalize Chromecast pairing with your TV.
- Say Ok Google, turn on my TV, and voila.
- If you have more than 1 TV, then rename each TV separately.
5. Turn on your TV with your Xbox one controller
You can configure your Xbox gaming console to turn on TV and audio outputs.
- From home screen, scroll to guide > settings > All settings > TV & One guide > Device control.
- Select TV to set up TV Power options.
- Head to TV setup and allow Xbox to detect your TV.
- Click Next if it detected TV successfully. If not, select TV setup and enter the TV code.
- Now go to device control and select Device Power options.
- Choose On when Xbox turns on and off when Xbox turns off.
- Close settings and turn off your Xbox to confirm the setup.
6. Turn on the TV with Firestick remote
You can also configure your Firestick remote to turn on/off the TV.
- Ensure CEC is enabled on your TV and Firestick.
- To enable CEC on Firestick, head to Settings > Display & sound and turn on HDMI CEC device control.
Now you can turn the TV on/off with the power button on the Firestick remote. Just press the ‘home’ button on the Firestick remote, and the TV turns on, showing FireTV home.
7. Turn on the TV with the Roku TV remote
Roku TV is not left out in fun, with Google Chromecast and FireTV already up in line.
You can set up The latest Roku TV remote with infrared (IR) technology to control the TV on/off and regulate TV volume.
- Connect Roku TV stick to HDMI port of your TV
- Turn the TV On and change the input to Roku TV HDMI
- You should see the following steps to pair the Roku TV stick with your TV.
- Ensure Roku TV voice remote batteries are well placed.
- The remote pairs automatically, or you press and hold the tiny button in the remote battery compartment while facing the TV.
After successful pairing, try to turn off your TV using the power button on the Roku TV remote.
8. Turn on the TV with your smart TV mobile apps
Finally, on our list, you can turn your TV on using mobile apps such as the Roku TV app, FireTV app, and the Smart TV mobile app. Just search your TV name + control on Apple or Google Playstore.
Whatever brand of TV you have, Samsung TV, Google TV, TCL, Apple TV, Roku TV, FireTV, etc., using your phone as a virtual remote is straightforward to set up.
- Download the device app into your phone from Google play store or Apple AppStore
- Turn on the TV and launch the app.
- Locate the Remote icon to connect with your TV at the app interface.
- Select your streaming service and TV brand.
- Follow the command prompts to connect your TV with the mobile app.
Isn’t it unique how many ways you can turn on your TV today?
Smart TVs have undoubtedly transformed the digital television space, combining the power of media entertainment, digital technology, and fast internet/Wi-Fi services.
We can only imagine what the future holds for man’s ever-reliable easy access to the universe.