Like every smart tv, Vizio TV can have troubleshooting issues. If your TV produces no sound, lags or freezes, displays a black screen, or apps suddenly crash, you might have to reset your TV. Resetting erases all the data entered in your TV and returns it to default settings.
After the process, you will need to redo settings and re-enter information. You can reset your Vizio TV with or without a remote. If your remote is missing or your TV isn’t responsive to the remote, here’s how to reset your TV without a remote.
Should I reset my Vizio TV?
Most times, when electronic devices malfunction, a reset is the first repair hack to consider to restore their full functions. Here are reasons to reset your Vizio TV.
- When your TV lags or freezes
- If your TV is less responsive to commands
- When the TV refuses to come on even after pressing the power button repeatedly.
- The TV applications crash suddenly.
- When the TV keeps showing a black screen
- If you are selling or buying a TV from someone, you will need to reset the device to erase stored information or data.
- You can’t remember your TV’s password and can’t access your home screen. When the TV functions aren’t working efficiently.
- You are having difficulty connecting to WiFi or internet services.
- TV having audio or video playback issues.
Factory Resetting your Vizio TV without remote
At the back of the television are buttons used in controlling the TV. These buttons are usually located at the lower right side of the tv. However, the buttons are found close to the panel in some televisions.
It’s ideal you get acquainted with the buttons for easy navigation. On the panel are 4 buttons: Volume up, volume down, power and input/sources button. Below are steps to reset your Vizio tv without a remote.
- Switch on your TV
- Press and hold down the volume and input button at the same time for 15 seconds.
- A popup message will appear instructing you to release the volume button while pressing the input button.
- After a while, the TV will go off and restart.
Sometimes you might have to press down the volume and input button repeatedly before the reset can begin. A message will be displayed: “Memory is being cleared. The display will reset shortly”.
What if I don’t have volume or input buttons?
If your TV doesn’t have volume or input buttons, resetting your device might seem tricky. Nevertheless, there’s always a way out. You can use the remote application to reset your TV.
With the SmartCast Mobile app, you can control your TV using your smartphone as a remote. SmartCast is a built in-house solution for Vizio TV. While this app doesn’t work for all models, it’s worth giving it a try. You can download the app from Google Play or Appstore.
- Check that your phone supports the app.
- Create an account and search nearby devices for your TV.
- Once seen, pair your app with your device.
- To activate the pairing mode, you will need a 4 digit code shown on the TV screen. Enter the digit on the mobile app. This links your app with your TV. Thus, you can now control your TV using the app as a remote.
How to reset your Vizio TV black screen
Vizio TV displaying a black screen is a common TV issue. The black screen may be due to backlight issues. Here’s how to reset the TV black screen.
- Switch off your TV and unplug it from the source.
- Wait for some minutes before plugging it back.
- Press and hold the power button for some seconds
- Release the button and switch on the TV.
How to soft reset your Vizio TV
If you have an unresponsive remote, black screen or want to eliminate bugs, you can consider doing a soft reset on your TV. Also known as power cycling, soft reset does not erase your data like factory reset. It’s quite easy to do.
- Just disconnect your TV from the power source and press down the power button.
- Hold it down for about 60 seconds.
- Plug the TV cord back into the power outlet and switch on your television. You’ve successfully done a soft reset.
Guess now you know the various ways to reset your Vizio TV without a remote. You can reset using the Vizio SmartCast Mobile app, volume and input buttons and soft reset. If your TV isn’t compatible with the app, you can use the buttons or soft reset. However, depending on your preference, you can use any method. If the above methods don’t work, you might have to consult a Vizio support team.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How do I manually reset my Vizio TV?
You can manually reset your Vizio TV in several ways: using a remote, doing a soft reset or factory reset. To reset your TV using the remote: Press the menu button. Go to System by navigating through the arrow buttons. Press ok. Select Reset and Admin. Select Reset TV to Factory Defaults. Press ok to start resetting.
How do I reconnect my Vizio TV without a remote?
There are several ways to reconnect your Vizio TV without a remote. You can download the Vizio SmartCast Mobile app, connect an ethernet cable or USB keyboard to your device.
To connect your TV to WiFi without a remote, you’ll need to switch on your TV and reset by pressing down the volume and input button at the same time. After a prompt, stop pressing the volume button and continue holding the input button for about 10 seconds.
Following the reset, the TV reboots, and you can now connect your USB keyboard or Ethernet cable to your TV to start the setup process.
How do I connect my phone to my Vizio Smart TV without WiFi?
You can connect your phone to Vizio TV through the SmartCast Mobile app. The connection process doesn’t require WiFi. Just ensure your phone is close to the TV for a quick connection.
Can you use a Vizio Smart TV without Internet?
Yes, you can, but your Vizio Smart TV will have limited functionality. While the TV can work without the internet, you won’t be able to access apps or other streaming platforms.